PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

MR2 Fan
December 18th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I think Elon Musk is an awesome person...I just wish I didn't get this "evil James Bond villain" vibe every time I see his face.

Rare White Ape
December 18th, 2014, 05:13 PM
seems like it. She hugged some other guy yesterday and then has been talking about how cute various guys are at work from a couple of lift operators to some of the truck drivers.

I see what you're doing. You're all cool and whatevs about it. You made your decision: she can't have you.

But you still chat and get along, right?

Throw in a bit of teasing, then a few days later hold her tricep and genuinely tell her you wish her a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

You'll have her legs in the air by 01:30 on New Year's Day.

Drachen596
December 18th, 2014, 05:32 PM
if only i was as smooth with women as you seem to think.

overpowered
December 18th, 2014, 11:33 PM
WTFFFFF?

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/children-stabbed-to-death-in-the-cairns-suburb-of-manoora/story-fnj4alav-1227161862831

Drachen596
December 19th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Am I reading that wrong or does it say that no one has been arrested and they are not looking for anyone that would be a suspect?

Rare White Ape
December 19th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Reading into it, I would guess that they know exactly who did it, and are just waiting for enough evidence to charge someone.

Godson
December 19th, 2014, 07:30 AM
seems like it. She hugged some other guy yesterday and then has been talking about how cute various guys are at work from a couple of lift operators to some of the truck drivers.

She is trouble.

RUN THE FUCK AWAY.

Alan P
December 19th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Am I reading that wrong or does it say that no one has been arrested and they are not looking for anyone that would be a suspect?

As the mother is in hospital I think they suspect her, otherwise there would be a huge murder hunt going on.

Drachen596
December 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM
She is trouble.

RUN THE FUCK AWAY.

aren't they all? Seriously though, I'm not pursuing her at all and never really had been.

Rare White Ape
December 19th, 2014, 02:01 PM
As the mother is in hospital I think they suspect her, otherwise there would be a huge murder hunt going on.

The police arrested the mother this morning.

Dicknose
December 19th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Yes the reports on the murders in Cairns were odd.
I guessed they suspected the mother. She probably tried to kill herself and that's why she was in hospital.

Only a couple of weeks ago there was a new born baby found inside a drain after the mother had dumped the baby. Not left were it would be found, but thrown down a storm water drain and left to die.

Not a good run for mothers.
It's a sick world.

Drachen596
December 19th, 2014, 09:59 PM
spent some talking to a female friend of mine. after that i've decided i don't care what happens. i'm not going to pursue this girl but if she wants to chase after me(unlikely..) then fine. we'll see what happens

Cam
December 19th, 2014, 10:24 PM
aren't they all?
No.

overpowered
December 19th, 2014, 10:34 PM
seems like it. She hugged some other guy yesterday and then has been talking about how cute various guys are at work from a couple of lift operators to some of the truck drivers.After all this build up, we need at least one pic.

Drachen596
December 20th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Unless she starts dating me or hanging out with me and frienda outside of work that is super unlikely to happen.

I don't do facebook stalking.

Godson
December 21st, 2014, 11:33 AM
Give me her name, I'll stalk...

Drachen596
December 21st, 2014, 05:13 PM
yeah.. cause that wouldn't end up turning out horribly for me at all.

Godson
December 21st, 2014, 05:24 PM
like she would know if I screen shot a single photo.

Either way. Subconsciously you deeply want something with her judging by your choice of words and the back-and-forth nature you are displaying. Hurry up and just nail her.

Drachen596
December 21st, 2014, 05:27 PM
no i just figured you'd be like the guys i'm friends with here and start telling her things. there's a reason this is all on here and not just being dealt with locally through family/friends.

Godson
December 22nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Meh. That takes effort, and effort is not my style.

Drachen596
December 23rd, 2014, 03:46 PM
Dont matter anyway. Ive completely given up on the whole situation.

MR2 Fan
December 25th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Well, this sucks...long time racer in local autocrosses, Robert Belvoir was killed in an accident (I didn't hear details) :( He had a 1st gen MR2 which was consistently the overall fastest car at the events. I knew him back in 2000-2001 when I used to autocross, he was a great guy.

GB
December 25th, 2014, 06:46 PM
He fell while climbing on an indoor ropes course inside a mall on Christmas Eve. freak accident.

http://www.wesh.com/news/man-falls-30-feet-from-ropes-course-at-artegon-marketplace-officials-say/30391834

His little Toyota was omnipresent.

Godson
December 25th, 2014, 07:39 PM
:(

MR2 Fan
December 25th, 2014, 07:44 PM
GB, thanks for the update, crappy way to go :(

thesameguy
December 26th, 2014, 09:32 AM
but from the little thing that it goes into, is what it came out of," said Lovetta Quinn-Henry with the Orlando Police Department.

Top notch police work.

GB
December 26th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I couldn't believe those words came out of an adult's mouth while I watched that story on the broadcast.

thesameguy
December 26th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I wonder if the person writing the article was laughing while they tried to figure out where to put punctuation, crying because they had to, or oblivious to the fact there was an actual problem in the first place.

Godson
December 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
What the fuck are they trying to communicate?

MR2 Fan
December 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM
sounds like a harness latch either broke or wasn't working properly.

Fiat500
December 26th, 2014, 05:31 PM
So, there's some adult programming late at night, and they've censored... the jukebox in the corner?!

http://i.imgur.com/X1ASBdI.jpg

NSFW, obviously.

Yw-slayer
December 26th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Too much Foreigner for sensitive eyes.

Godson
December 26th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Lol!!!!

GreatScawt
December 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM
They had to hide that jukebox's 30mm Chubby

FaultyMario
December 27th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Joe, are you on twitter much? I don't think i ever got around sharing this poster with you. (https://twitter.com/oldpicsarchive)

Drachen596
December 28th, 2014, 08:56 PM
i just remembered.. January 1st my place of work is going to a No tobacco at all policy and including e cigs and vapes.

this includes in the employees cars. none of it is allowed to be used on property. period.

things are going to get REALLY interesting considering the biggest jerks in my area are pretty heavy smokers.

MR2 Fan
December 29th, 2014, 12:17 AM
i just remembered.. January 1st my place of work is going to a No tobacco at all policy and including e cigs and vapes.

this includes in the employees cars. none of it is allowed to be used on property. period.

things are going to get REALLY interesting considering the biggest jerks in my area are pretty heavy smokers.

wow, is that even legal? I can understand indoors, but in employee cars??

Drachen596
December 29th, 2014, 12:21 AM
being on company property means company rules.. legal as far as i can tell. no idea how strictly it will be enforced as the at least 80% of the supervisors and managerial staff smoke.

i'm just going to sit and wait for the day the hot headed idiot blows his stack at a driver because he hasn't had his nicotine fix. he probably wont get fired because my supervisor doesn't care and buries any complaints that come through from trucking companies or drivers unless you piss her off.

Edit - bear in mind that some states with no smoking in work place laws actually apply to truck drivers in their trucks as well. it's already illegal to smoke in a number of work places due to state law and as i understand it completely illegal within 8 feet of ANY business/workplace door or door to a public place like a mall. http://www.in.gov/isdh/tpc/2684.htm

speedpimp
December 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
So Gonzo was diddling Miss Piggy's pork pocket with his nose while she tongued his turd locker. I was driving when that image popped into my head. I have no idea why.

Alan P
December 29th, 2014, 02:49 PM
The same rules apply here when we introduced the workplace smoking ban. If it's a work supplied vehicle then it counts as 'your place of work' and that means no smoking in it.

MR2 Fan
December 29th, 2014, 05:03 PM
The same rules apply here when we introduced the workplace smoking ban. If it's a work supplied vehicle then it counts as 'your place of work' and that means no smoking in it.

Well if its a work vehicle, I can understand that.

Alan P
December 29th, 2014, 05:12 PM
We have an area outside the doors to our workplace, probably about 30 yards from the door but smokers are in the habit now of lighting up as soon as they leave the call centre. I hate it and wish they would wait until they're at least close to the smoking area.

Yw-slayer
December 29th, 2014, 07:48 PM
So Gonzo was diddling Miss Piggy's pork pocket with his nose while she tongued his turd locker. I was driving when that image popped into my head. I have no idea why.

That's why we love you, Rich.

speedpimp
December 30th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Damn, YW, I thought it was because of my cute butt.

At the company I work for there is a no smoking policy in the trucks, but it doesn't apply to e-cigs. In the office it is a common sight to see the sales staff puffing away on their e-cigs between sales calls. I was picking up a load of pickles today and noticed the fork lift driver putting a hunk of chew in his mouth. Even when I did smoke the one thing that ALWAYS turned my stomach was people that chewed, more specifically it was their "spitoon", usually a pop bottle with a napkin inside of it and just filled with their nasty ass tobacco juice.

Leon
December 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Yesterday was a learning day.

I learned that you can in fact cut yourself with a beard trimmer.

Unfortunately as I discovered that while manscaping, I then learned that scrotums bleed, lots.

speedpimp
December 30th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I don't bother with a beard trimmer. I just use a regular razor for the bag. I just use it very carefully.

21Kid
December 30th, 2014, 01:58 PM
straight razor??!?

speedpimp
December 30th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Hell no. Who do you think I am? Drew?
Good old three blade disposable.

Godson
December 30th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Just snorted my milk on the screen from the last few posts.

21Kid
December 31st, 2014, 07:54 AM
Got a safety razor for Xmas. Bled a little. Not going to take it near my sack.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61i-Ct1WQFL._SL1000_.jpg

thesameguy
December 31st, 2014, 08:33 AM
My Merkur is turbocharged.

21Kid
December 31st, 2014, 09:33 AM
My first thought when I saw the brand also. :lol: We'll not that you have a turbo-charged one... But, that it is also a car name.

Random
December 31st, 2014, 09:51 AM

But is it super?!

thesameguy
December 31st, 2014, 09:52 AM
It was their "spitoon", usually a pop bottle with a napkin inside of it and just filled with their nasty ass tobacco juice.

Hilarity ensues when someone mistakes such a bottle for an unfinished soda and puts it in the fridge.

thesameguy
December 31st, 2014, 10:01 AM
I had this weird dream that a friend and I were at a college career fair together, and some guy operating a tech booth was talking down to us about their radios. I quickly reconfigured one to be a targeting beacon for a satellite based laser and we both took a step back as the dude was vaporized.

Not sure what that means - I can't find "orbital anti-personnel weapon " in any of the dream books.

GreatScawt
December 31st, 2014, 12:05 PM
So my brother taught my 5 year old twin nieces "rock-paper-scissors" a few weeks ago. Days later, while he was driving and they were in the back, they played the game. Except somehow it had morphed into "rock-paper-scissors-vagina". He nearly crashed the truck from laughing (not really). When he told us the story I was almost in tears. Too funny. I cannot think of that game the same way anymore :lol:

thesameguy
December 31st, 2014, 12:55 PM
Soooo.....

What beats what?

speedpimp
December 31st, 2014, 03:50 PM
Vagina trumps all.

Drachen596
January 1st, 2015, 08:48 AM
Glad I don't have phone numbers for certain people after the amount I drank last night.

100% positive that lots of drunk dialing would have happened.

thesameguy
January 1st, 2015, 09:36 PM
Amazon now delivers on Sunday via the USPS.

Boom.

JoshInKC
January 2nd, 2015, 05:30 AM
Yeah, my tablet/laptop thing showed up last sunday, it was fairly weird.

Drachen596
January 2nd, 2015, 03:16 PM
My brain either came up with or remembered a ridiculous pickup line today..

maybe ill try it out.

Godson
January 2nd, 2015, 05:18 PM
Ffs.

When a person has on pleather pants, come-fuck-me-boots, spaghetti strap top, red leather jacket, and matching red lipstick... I can only imagine why "your life is a soap opera."

speedpimp
January 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
Because she is high maintenance and looking for some new dick?

Leon
January 3rd, 2015, 10:22 AM
he didn't specify that it was a female ;)

speedpimp
January 3rd, 2015, 12:15 PM
True. Could be the Chiefs punter.

Godson
January 3rd, 2015, 01:08 PM
True. Could be the Chiefs punter.

Colquit is damned good.

And it was a chick.

Leon
January 4th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Interesting week. Met a girl this week, like her so far, even though if you had asked me what my type was, this girl would not have ticked many of the boxes.

Second date was today. Almost got to the point where I had to explain the previously mentioned scrotal injuries, so I think it might be safe to say that she likes me back.

GreatScawt
January 4th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Man, I'm going to miss Stuart Scott.

Alan P
January 4th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I feel that I should set a deadline, but that may not get me what I actually want. But I shouldn't have to, nor can I wait forever.

Godson
January 4th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Man, I'm going to miss Stuart Scott.

Yeah. Super sad.

21Kid
January 6th, 2015, 01:37 PM
California just broke ground on the United States’ first high-speed rail (http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/04/california-starts-building-high-speed-rail/?ncid=rss_truncated)!

By 2029, the system will run from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and after that, the system will continue to Sacramento and San Diego, adding 24 stops to the rail.
15 years seems like a long time to develop this. :erm: With how much technology and construction has advanced, I would think this could be done in a lot less time now-a-days.

Kchrpm
January 6th, 2015, 01:50 PM
The comments on the Gizmodo article for this commented it's just a money grab by politicians and such in the higher area, that there's likely no way any of this will be done on time, on budget, or correctly, and no one making the decisions cares.

thesameguy
January 6th, 2015, 02:22 PM
15 years is not that long. Big construction projects involve a lot of local regulations, right of ways, etc. They are always over budget, over due, and totally outdated by the time they're built, but that's kind of the way it is.

Here in Sacramento, it's been resolved to turn a major thoroughfare into a freeway. It started like five or ten years ago with the acquisition of property rights, and construction is set to start in a few more years. All said and done it'll be a 20 year project and it only spans like 15 miles!

21Kid
January 6th, 2015, 03:50 PM
'MERICA!!!

I guess I shouldn't expect our lolely little country to be able to get anything done efficiently. :rolleyes: I envy other countries, and how far ahead they are in many ways. Especially China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_China).

Sad, little man
January 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Those Chinese trains look like very boring Angry Birds characters. I bet American high speed rail trains will look like Chuck Norris or something. They'll probably shoot sparks and/or (probably and) American flags out of the back.

21Kid
January 6th, 2015, 05:02 PM
in 20+ years. :(

Godson
January 7th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I won't complain about how long it takes to get stuff going. Grandview triangle here in kc took 40 years to actually be finished and usable.

Sometimes it is all about the safety regs.

Or money grubbing politicians.

thesameguy
January 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
A problem with living in the future is that everything is so cheap broken stuff from the recent past is totally uneconomical and/or pointless to fix. My house is littered with fairly high end speakers, and I just inherited three Boston Acoustics 555x/THX speakers that need new foams. It's $80 to refoam them, and then I have more really good speakers that I have absolutely no use for. They aren't worth shite because everyone else has good speakers they don't need just like me. Quite the conundrum - generate more waste, or invest a small amount of money to have a nice thing I don't need and can't sell. What's a responsible futureman to do?

Kchrpm
January 7th, 2015, 12:07 PM
A problem with living in the future is that everything is so cheap broken stuff from the recent past is totally uneconomical and/or pointless to fix. My house is littered with fairly high end speakers, and I just inherited three Boston Acoustics 555x/THX speakers that need new foams. It's $80 to refoam them, and then I have more really good speakers that I have absolutely no use for. They aren't worth shite because everyone else has good speakers they don't need just like me. Quite the conundrum - generate more waste, or invest a small amount of money to have a nice thing I don't need and can't sell. What's a responsible futureman to do?

Not everyone has really good speakers, I'm sure someone on Craigslist would love to get those speakers for much cheaper than new but still a profit to you.

thesameguy
January 7th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I actually looked. You can buy these for $50/ea. $300-$400 if you have a full set of five or one of the subs to include. There are some places online asking $100-$200ea for them, but then you've got shipping and such. After spending $80 on supplies and hours on repair I'd make maybe $70? I don't think it's worth the time for that level of speculation. That's the sad truth of it.

I think at the core of it is that inexpensive speakers are so good these days, buying 15 (20?) year old THX certified speakers is not a good use of money. You can get a pretty darned good multi-channel sound bar (eg Vizio or LG) for $200 or something like an Energy matched set for $250 or $300. Why spend $150 on something old and used? I wouldn't. The market for these is a... poor home theater enthusiast (because they aren't particularly musical) - and in truth I think that person would be better served by one of those other options.

I may list them on CL as-is for free - but I fucking HATE dealing with the people who respond to free ads. The two times I've done it the responses come from crackheads and hoarders who don't even know what it is they're getting - they just saw "free" and went for it. :down:

thesameguy
January 7th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Yeah, so this happened.

100mm is much too large. I am measuring only 4".

speedpimp
January 7th, 2015, 02:36 PM
That extra 1/16" makes a world of difference.:assclown:

FaultyMario
January 7th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I don't get it.

100 mm < 4"

thesameguy
January 7th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Exactly. R-tards who are not only unaware of the ratio of inches to mm, but also too lazy or competent to ask Google.

Random
January 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I may list them on CL as-is for free - but I fucking HATE dealing with the people who respond to free ads. The two times I've done it the responses come from crackheads and hoarders who don't even know what it is they're getting - they just saw "free" and went for it. :down:

How about pulling the needing-foam drivers out and listing the boxes for $10/ea as a potential DIY speaker project?

thesameguy
January 7th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Possible, but dealing with CL weirdos for $30 seems like... no fun.

overpowered
January 7th, 2015, 11:27 PM
People here are worried about ebola which has only killed 2 people in the U.S, but not the flu, even though that often kills tens of thousands per year.

Even alcohol poisoning kills an average of 6 people a day in this country.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/07/health/alcohol-poisoning-deaths/

21Kid
January 8th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Put new speakers in the boxes? :assclown:

thesameguy
January 8th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I actually thought about that last night. I need to order some stuff from parts-express.com and they have some decent $16 drivers I could install. The thing is, I'd be spending $32 per speaker to build some fake BA 555x speakers that I don't need. It'd be cheaper to refoam them at $25 per speaker and have a chance at selling them for $50 per. The economics never work out. :(

MR2 Fan
January 8th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Who needs to buy speakers when you can 3D print them!

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150106-form1-3d-printers-updates-decrease-printing-times-maximize-printing-efficiency.html

http://www.3ders.org/images2014/form1-3d-printers-updates-decrease-printing-times-maximize-printing-efficiency-3.jpg

Edit: Before anyone goes crazy, yes I know this isn't replacing real speakers yet...just a start

21Kid
January 8th, 2015, 11:13 AM
hence the :assclown:

I'd just toss them... or find a side project for them.

Speakers in the basement, garage, bathroom... just because?
Turn them into a lamp?
Weird hanging-garden-type plant holder?

thesameguy
January 8th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I lamp the lamp idea. Maybe I can justify spending money by turning them into a audio reactive lighting project. :D

21Kid
January 8th, 2015, 04:10 PM
:lol:

Kchrpm
January 9th, 2015, 08:17 AM
http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?875-GREATEST-KICKSTARTER-EVER-Color-changing-smart-light-bulb-wireless-speaker&p=31512&viewfull=1#post31512

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50TBPeu560U

thesameguy
January 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Lamp the lamp idea. Derp.

:up:

thesameguy
January 9th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I know it doesn't need to be said, but I'm going to anyway...

My comment above about not wanting to deal with CL people for $30...

I posted an add this morning to liquidate all the 30-pin Apple stuff at home...

I would *really* prefer to sell this as one big lot of stuff. I am willing to make someone a favorable deal. Sorry, but I am not interested in selling you one phone.

First email:

how much you want for just the 4s

:rolleyes:

21Kid
January 9th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Good thing it's easy to just press the delete button. :)

21Kid
January 9th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Play more than 2,000 MS-DOS games (https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2) Now Available in Your Browser for Free

Godson
January 9th, 2015, 07:46 PM
People here are worried about ebola which has only killed 2 people in the U.S, but not the flu, even though that often kills tens of thousands per year.

Even alcohol poisoning kills an average of 6 people a day in this country.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/07/health/alcohol-poisoning-deaths/

I am glad you have a decent amount of logic in your brain. I just wish more people would somehow absorb some from you and others like you.

Fogelhund
January 12th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Funny how at certain times, the Black and White world of morals become just a bunch of shades of grey.

MR2 Fan
January 12th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Funny how at certain times, the Black and White world of morals become just a bunch of shades of grey.

how many? like 50?

Fogelhund
January 13th, 2015, 03:15 AM
how many? like 50?

OH man... what a terrible reference... I hope you get stuck being forced to go see that movie opening on Valentines Day for that one. LOL

Just a couple of shades at this point...

Drachen596
January 14th, 2015, 10:00 PM
well i'm done being nice to my immediate coworkers. from now on if they're screwing around i'm going to get loud and angry and someones gonna get their feelings hurt.

don't cost me productivity time when i have items i have to have unloaded to cover stuff we're shipping out because you failed to look at the damn bills for an inbound trailer.

Sad, little man
January 15th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Well... Fuck FedEx.

So I ordered a package that's too large to fit in my car. It was scheduled to be delivered here today. So, without really having the option of letting them leave a notice and going to the depot to pick it up later, really my only option was to stay home and wait for it to arrive today. Luckily I managed to negotiate my way into working from home for the day.

On the tracking info, I see it got put on the truck for delivery at 4am this morning. So I'm thinking great, maybe it will get here mid-morning and I'll still be able to go to work later.

Fast forward to 5:30pm, the fucking thing is still MIA.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that another package from UPS that was shown as going out for delivery at 8am already got here at 4pm. :mad:

I think I saw a drug deal go down outside my house earlier this morning, so that's cool. Nothing serious though, just a suburbanite white kid getting his stuff.

thesameguy
January 15th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Isn't FedEx's residential delivery window until 7pm?

Sad, little man
January 15th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Their residential delivery window is bullshit, that's what it is.

Godson
January 16th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I have had stuff show up at 830p before.

thesameguy
January 16th, 2015, 06:48 PM
FedEx Home is to 8pm. Ground is 7pm. During the holidays they usually add an hour.

overpowered
January 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Neil Young has launched his own music service company called Pono Music that provides 24-bit 192 kHz FLAC music files. No DRM. No streaming (yet). It's currently a digital download business model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pono_(digital_music_service)
https://ponomusic.force.com/

That kind of resolution probably beats any vinyl no matter what turntable/tonearm/cartridge you have. Many question how successful it can be given that streaming seems to be the way things are going anymore.

Just a rough guess, that resolution with FLAC would require maybe 10 Mbits/second for streaming, which can be a bit much to ask of a lot of broad band.

FaultyMario
January 17th, 2015, 03:48 PM
I love NY's techie side. His association with Pacific Microsonics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCD) in the mid nineties (http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/26/business/hot-new-audio-technology-chases-dolby-s-soundprints.html) looked promising at the time, and the 'warmth' in his and Pearl Jam's Mirrorball is something very close to vinyl on a digital medium.

Sad, little man
January 17th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Yet another sign that it's officially the future... You can now buy a device that will charge your phone and cook things using nothing but twigs as a fuel source.

http://www.rei.com/product/846334/biolite-wood-burning-campstove

thesameguy
January 22nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
Inadvertently imaging a USB drive full of MP3s with a Linux distribution more or less sucks. I highly recommend you always put drive images where you want them, rather than where you do not. As the dialog box says, "Contents of drive will be erased. Are you sure?" Turns out I wasn't.

MR2 Fan
January 22nd, 2015, 06:04 PM
I generally dislike american news media. I used to go on CNN.com for news, although a lot of it is tabloid crap...now their website is horrible.

I also really, really get annoyed by Richard Quest, one of the journalists...he's got a very odd british accent and has the most absurd sounding commentary the way he talks.

I was watching an interesting story about personal rapid transport and wanted to punch something through my speakers when I realized it was him talking.

Drachen596
January 23rd, 2015, 12:04 AM
Fwiw MSN.com revamped their site as well in the last month or so and I hate it. The cnn.com one is even worse imo. The only one who hasn't made major changes to their site lately is Fox News, which incidentally a guy at work basically yelled at me for reading. (side note, i also had stuff from CNN and MSNBC up I like as many news sources as possible even on the same story)

On another note, I got woken up at 10 till 4pm today by my boss calling. The woman who works the back half of the week on my shift doing my job had called in sick and I was needed to cover for her. I have no idea why my boss waited till that point to call me when the shift starts at 4pm but I got there by 5 and worked 10 hours.

Now, I love how the overtime looks on my checks but I hate getting overtime the way I have been lately. This is because said coworker has some sort of illness details of which I don't know and will not ask about.

Yw-slayer
January 23rd, 2015, 01:46 AM
On Richard Quest, this'll make you feel a bit better Chris, LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmIcW3WQ2U

21Kid
January 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM
What about using https://news.google.com? You get stories from CNN, BBC, CBS, Fox, etc... all on one page.

MR2 Fan
January 23rd, 2015, 07:18 AM
What about using https://news.google.com? You get stories from CNN, BBC, CBS, Fox, etc... all on one page.

Good idea...

Meanwhile, on CNN.com

TSA seizes record 2,212 firearms in 2014 http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/23/travel/tsa-seizes-record-number-guns-2014/index.html

The 1,813 guns seized by the TSA in 2013 was up from 1,556 seizures in 2012 and 1,320 in 2011. The agency seized 1,123 guns in 2010, 976 guns in 2009, 926 guns in 2008, 803 guns in 2007 and 821 guns in 2006.

What the hell? Everyone's going gun crazy here.

21Kid
January 23rd, 2015, 07:43 AM
And that's just from carry-on luggage... where people know they aren't supposed to take firearms. :smh:

MR2 Fan
January 23rd, 2015, 07:52 AM
On Richard Quest, this'll make you feel a bit better Chris, LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmIcW3WQ2U

Thanks YW...its odd, because to me it isn't his voice as much as the way he talks...he just talks weird, having emphasis on the wrong words and speaking loudly at the wrong times.

Drachen596
January 23rd, 2015, 11:31 AM
Fwiw i do use googles news page as well but it doesnt seem to show all the stories.

In other news this guy who gets told he isnt a team player is covering another 11 hour shift.

21Kid
January 23rd, 2015, 11:53 AM
Well if you'd quite hogging all the hours!!! :mad:

Drachen596
January 23rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
When my opposite on the back half stops calling in sick.

TheBenior
January 24th, 2015, 05:39 AM
A guy on the day shift just posted the headstone of his daughter on his FB, who committed suicide at the age of 17:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10941824_10204700334962009_7147612829689636903_n.j pg?oh=5206cadf1ff6df1b420a373f3be1b948&oe=5564105C&__gda__=1432362787_2495beffea7da9e561c945c1b131676 c

I don't think I've had a more appropriate time to use the David Tennant rain gif:

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/raining_david_tennant.gif

overpowered
January 24th, 2015, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2015, 07:05 AM
I spent last week living the dream: driving a C7 Corvette around mountain roads, parking in the Phoenix Suns team garage under the arena so I could sit in the family section, staying in a resort, crashing in the guest suites at a couple of cousins' places, mingling with porn stars in Las Vegas (some of whom gave me free gifts, though no favors), eating at fancy restaurants, and enjoying breathtaking vistas.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o4OzHFYdZEs/VMT-djE--XI/AAAAAAAEu3U/4NiNn-tYBxc/w1044-h408-no/DSC02145.JPG

I did get a little tired of all the people who asked if I was doing the trip alone, though.

I posted some trip pictures, with links to more, in the appropriate thread in the Art Appreciation forum (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?574-Post-yer-neat-pictures-here!-(Original-content-only-plz-)&p=32826&viewfull=1#post32826).

The porn stars are in the appropriate thread here in The Pit Stop (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?39-Where-the-wimmin-at-(NSFW)&p=32818&viewfull=1#post32818).

21Kid
January 26th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Wow. Awesome!

overpowered
January 26th, 2015, 12:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Hmm. Maybe not as cool as it seemed at first:

http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/

Drachen596
January 27th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Sometimes a simple 20 minute conversation can make everything feel like it can actually be okay at some point.

Cam
January 27th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Lori and I have been getting a lot more regular exercise since the new year.

I want to EAT ALL THE FOODS!

(My appetite has increased.)

GB
January 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Lori and I have been getting a lot more sexual exercise since the new year.
Bow chicka wow-wow!

Kchrpm
January 27th, 2015, 01:20 PM
:up: It's good that she's feeding your increased appetite.

Cam
January 28th, 2015, 07:02 AM
My parents' 50th wedding anniversary is next week.

Levi is having knee surgery tomorrow.

Lori and I got our green cards approved yesterday.

I'm photographing a town called Cameron for a photography class this semester.

Got a new battery for my ten-year-old mobile phone. The original would no longer hold a charge.

I like chocolate. I prefer dark to milk, but white chocolate makes me pukey.

I have a vase of fake flowers on my desk.

thesameguy
January 28th, 2015, 08:38 AM
The flowers on my desk are 8-bit.

http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/zoom/e731_8-bit_flower_bouqet.jpg

George
January 28th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Got a new battery for my ten-year-old mobile phone. The original would no longer hold a charge.

Cam is my hero!

I need a new charger for my 5 or 6 year old phone, and the local AT&T store doesn't stock them. I haven't carried the phone since it died in November, I think, but my wife has been nagging me about it lately, so I guess I'll grudgingly order one from eBay.

I much prefer being cell-phone-free.

Leon
January 28th, 2015, 09:07 AM

Okay, I'll pick this one to respond to.

That is awesome :) I take my hat off to them!

Fogelhund
January 28th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Levi is having knee surgery tomorrow.

Lori and I got our green cards approved yesterday.

I'm photographing a town called Cameron for a photography class this semester.

I like chocolate. I prefer dark to milk, but white chocolate makes me pukey.

I have a vase of fake flowers on my desk.

Congrats to your parents, awesome achievement.

Good Luck to Levi on his surgery.

Fogelhund
January 28th, 2015, 01:36 PM
(Ex) Wife informed me she was leaving last March. Moved out in July.

I'm paying Child Support.

Two kids live here full time, and the third five of seven days of the week. The third kid eats nearly all of his meals here.

I am in great shape fitness wise. Ran 5km in 21 minutes the other day, at -9C temperature.

I hosted my Mom's 75th birthday this past weekend.

I've started racing online again with Forza 5. (I'm really not very good anymore, need a wheel)

I'm trying to grow my business, self-employed, while maintaining a 2400 sq ft house on my own, three kids (two in rep sports), three dogs... etc.

I am happier than I have been in years.

Alan P
January 28th, 2015, 06:02 PM
(Ex) Wife informed me she was leaving last March. Moved out in July.

I'm paying Child Support.

Two kids live here full time, and the third five of seven days of the week. The third kid eats nearly all of his meals here.

I am in great shape fitness wise. Ran 5km in 21 minutes the other day, at -9C temperature.

I hosted my Mom's 75th birthday this past weekend.

I've started racing online again with Forza 5. (I'm really not very good anymore, need a wheel)

I'm trying to grow my business, self-employed, while maintaining a 2400 sq ft house on my own, three kids (two in rep sports), three dogs... etc.

I am happier than I have been in years.

I'm confused why you're the one paying Child Support??

George
January 28th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Fogelhund, I remember leaving your place long ago and thinking "this guy really has it made." You must have been through some hard times with changes from then until now. I'm very glad to hear you are happy.

And why not? Life is short. Best wishes.

George
January 28th, 2015, 07:01 PM
And not to ignore Cam's parents - 50 years is awesome. My parents will celebrate their 48th this year. It's a long time to suffer. :lol:

Godson
February 3rd, 2015, 08:44 AM
Dumb people piss me the fuck off.

Alan P
February 3rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
I have the opportunity of becoming a JEDI at work. That's the name of the job title!

Kchrpm
February 3rd, 2015, 03:57 PM
Do or do not....DO!

Drachen596
February 4th, 2015, 12:19 AM
I have discovered this week that by NOT being a team player and trying to help everyone else with their jobs that mine because a billion times less stressful.

too bad it tends to end up making extra work for me to do when those i'm not helping tend to screw up anyways and any of them getting fired is really unlikely as we're already down 4 people of what should be a 12 person team..

Sad, little man
February 4th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I'm convinced that most residents of Michigan have an unhealthy obsession with the state of Florida. And quite honestly, any interest in Florida is unhealthy.

My working theory is that there's some weird peninsular state love fest thing going on between the two states. That's the only sense I can make of it.

Kchrpm
February 4th, 2015, 10:49 AM
East of Illinois, people obsess with and retire to Florida. Chicago and westward, people obsess with and retire to Arizona.

Related: baseball teams have their spring ball in Florida and Arizona.

MR2 Fan
February 4th, 2015, 02:05 PM
and Florida is now the 3rd most populous state in the U.S.

It was fine before all of these people moved here.

speedpimp
February 4th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Not everybody retires to AZ or FL. My aunt and uncle retired to Missouri of all places.

My nephew is 15 and just got his first tattoo. Normally I'm not one for tats unless there is a strong meaning behind it. His is to memorialize his dad who died the week before Xmas.

21Kid
February 4th, 2015, 04:08 PM
My in-laws retired to Arkansas. :smh:

I can get behind that tattoo. :up:

Godson
February 4th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Missouri and Arkansas have some damned good driving roads.

Leon
February 5th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Internet dating is interesting.

I was added by a woman who was in an open marriage, and was looking for group sex.

However, she then decided *I* was strange, because I like cider.

Unmatched her in a hurry.

The hell am I going to hang out with somebody who doesn't like cider.

Sad, little man
February 5th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Wait, are we talking like just cold cider, or spiced hot cider. I mean, cold cider, whatever, take it or leave it, but everybody likes the hot spiced stuff!

Anyway, what a 1970s pimp palace... Check the dance floor and booth seating in the basement!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/591-Lake-Shore-Rd-Grosse-Pointe-Shores-MI-48236/88308065_zpid/

speedpimp
February 5th, 2015, 02:13 PM
That house is bad ass of every magnitude.

overpowered
February 6th, 2015, 02:18 AM
There are reasons why San Diego is the least affordable city in the nation. 73F in February is part of it.

speedpimp
February 7th, 2015, 03:04 PM
You and the horse you rode in on, Mr. Sunny 365 Days A Year.

overpowered
February 7th, 2015, 04:48 PM
It's more like 355-360. :D

speedpimp
February 7th, 2015, 05:11 PM
:p

Sad, little man
February 7th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Cripping droughts are probably not one of the reasons it's least affordable though.

overpowered
February 7th, 2015, 11:37 PM
They make water more expensive as they try to build or expand more reservoirs.

Random
February 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM
That was/is primarily for reliability after a major earthquake.

The new desalination plant is addressing the supply side.

Sad, little man
February 9th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Am I getting that effing old!? All of the news sites are saying "Hey, who's this Beck guy that won the Grammy?"

He's effing BECK! That's who he is. Maybe it's just that he seems to be a perpetual mystery.

speedpimp
February 9th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Beck? It's all about that Yeezus Christ, son.

overpowered
February 9th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Seriously. Kanye sucks, on so many levels.

Kchrpm
February 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I didn't even know Beck had a new album out.

Yw-slayer
February 9th, 2015, 06:48 PM
You're a loser, baby.

Sad, little man
February 9th, 2015, 06:58 PM
It's a little known fact that Beck gave the greatest interview ever to be televised...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzY49xlvdY

overpowered
February 9th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Beck + Thurston Moore = classic

Leon
February 9th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Drugs are bad. MMMmkay?

Random
February 10th, 2015, 02:11 PM
"Scientists are using the James Webb Telescope to..."

That's a neat trick given that construction is still ongoing. :|

Sad, little man
February 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM
To learn about building telescopes?

Godson
February 10th, 2015, 07:45 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere...

Drachen596
February 11th, 2015, 12:31 AM
i think i need to learn how to be unavailable to cover shifts when people call off. gained 25 hours of over time last week as a result but lost out on days off and quite a bit of sleep Monday as a result. nothin like only 9 hours between shifts at work..

MR2 Fan
February 11th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I hate yahoo mail.

yes, everyone knows yahoo mail sucks, but I've had it for so long and its tied to so many accounts, I'm afraid to move away from it. I do have gmail and another email for newer accounts I've been using.

Today I can see the subjects of my emails but can't read them...apparently they're having server issues as many people on twitter are also mentioning it....frustrating.

speedpimp
February 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM
I'm another stalwart. I've been Yahooing since '99.

Alan P
February 11th, 2015, 03:08 PM
My whole company uses Yahoo mail for it's Email backbone. They're terrible.

JoshInKC
February 11th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Ugh. Went to wash some dishes earlier and found that the water was insanely, ridiculously, crazy-town hot. Like hot enough that the instant I turned it on steam started billowing. So this clued me into the idea that something just might be wrong, so I went down to the basement and found a large amount of (again, steaming) water leaking onto the floor from the t/p valve of the water heater. I immediately turned the gas off, because it was going full throttle. In retrospect, I think It had been going like that since sometime yesterday, given that my wife complained about the temperature when she showered in the evening.
Doing some further investigating, I found that the water heater tank itself was upsettingly bulgey. So now I have to replace my water heater tomorrow, but on the upside it didn't go off like a rocket, destroy my house, and kill me and my wife.

Cam
February 11th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I keep using Yahoo because I've had the same e-mail address for about 17 years. It was fine until they forced me to use the "new" Yahoo mail, which does not work as well as the old one. :?

Kchrpm
February 13th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Google Helpouts is shutting down, I'll be stuck with just you guys' Excel problems now :(

Kchrpm
February 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM
If I'm sitting in my car in my garage, then I'm not home alone on Valentine's Day, but I'm also not out alone. Genius solution!

Sad, little man
February 16th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I decided to use my fancy-schmancy phone to record a 4K video... My computer won't play it smoothly, and my video converter software chokes on the file.

I'm downloading Samsung's video editor app to try to scale it down on my phone and then move it to my computer.

Note Edge... You got me into this mess, and you're going to get me out of it.

Edit: Oh what the hell!!! Samsung's own video editor doesn't support the files its phone is capable of recording!

Random
February 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM
:lol:

Sad, little man
February 16th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Eff 4K video.

For what it's worth, the hilarious solution I came up with is to upload it to youtube and then download it from youtube in a lower resolution. Seems to be working so far, we'll see if it uploads. Is there anything youtube can't do?

overpowered
February 16th, 2015, 03:58 PM
https://www.ffmpeg.org/

Random
February 17th, 2015, 02:02 PM
It's pretty crazy that one has to consent to a background check to be the volunteer scorekeeper for a Little League team. What the fuck kind of world do we live in?! :|

MR2 Fan
February 17th, 2015, 02:14 PM
It's pretty crazy that one has to consent to a background check to be the volunteer scorekeeper for a Little League team. What the fuck kind of world do we live in?! :|

a paranoid one

Sad, little man
February 17th, 2015, 02:16 PM
That's exactly what I was about to say. :lol:

Sad, little man
February 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Wait, so you mean to tell me that Neil Young used crowd funding to manufacture an oddly shaped portable music player and it wasn't completely amazing!? :twitch:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2015/02/ponoplayer_review_neil_young_s_new_streaming_devic e_sounds_no_better_than.html

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/pono-player-review-a-tall-refreshing-drink-of-snake-oil/

thesameguy
February 17th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Even though it's way in the past, I'm still baffled as to how a dirty rock & roller came to the conclusion he was the guy to mass-market a FLAC only device. So many people on this planet I'd think, "Well, fair enough." But Neil Young? Never in a million years.

As for the device itself, I am waiting for the inevitable technical teardown. I am virtually positive it's going to come down to OTS chips and typical Made in China assembly. You don't get to design microchips and leverage fancy assembly lines for a few million dollars.

Sad, little man
February 17th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Wait no more!

http://mikebeauchamp.com/2014/12/pono-player-teardown/

Conclusion: There's no goddamn reason for the triangle shape.

Alan P
February 17th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I got the Jedi job. And only 9 days training. Beat that Anakin!

Drachen596
February 18th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Any opinions on places like Planet Fitness or other 24 hour gyms?

Cam
February 18th, 2015, 02:58 PM
You can exercise for free at home or in a public space.

Kchrpm
February 18th, 2015, 03:13 PM
$20/month isn't terrible, it just depends what kind of equipment you want to use.

Sad, little man
February 18th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I tried Planet Fitness and thought it was awful. Think about it... What is the stereotypical individual that really loves working out but can only afford $20/mo for a gym? Well all of those people come out of the woodwork and go to Planet Fitness. And even if you don't really mind people like that, there are so damn many of them that you will never get a chance to get on the equipment.

Kchrpm
February 18th, 2015, 03:24 PM
That just depends where you live. The one I go to can get busy, but it's never so busy that you can't get on the equipment you want to use.

Drachen596
February 18th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Id be going after work so midnight or 3am typically.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2015, 10:26 AM
a strange thing happened the other day. I went to a new branch of my local credit union, and went to the drive-thru ATM. I put my card in and nothing happened...there was another one there that was broken, so I went inside, and the perky welcome person said that the only ATM's they have are at the drive-thru and I actually have to touch the screen, then talk to a live person via video-chat to do the same process the ATM does...so I went through this whole thing I normally do with an ATM except with a "live" teller from the office 100 miles away helping me along. I didn't like it. I work at a job where I have to talk to 40-50 (usually mad) people a day on a helpdesk, so the less human interaction I have outside of that, the better.

Sad, little man
February 19th, 2015, 04:50 PM
One time I rented a truck from Lowes, and they had something like that set up. You have to have like a video conference with someone somewhere to rent the truck. It was incredibly stupid.

Anyway, Japan has made a robot that you wear on your shoulders that will feed you tomatoes while you go for a run.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/02/19/national/google-glass-apple-watch-japan-offers-wearable-tomatoes/#.VOaRocbXE7-

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1032&d=1424396961

overpowered
February 19th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Even though it's way in the past, I'm still baffled as to how a dirty rock & roller came to the conclusion he was the guy to mass-market a FLAC only device. So many people on this planet I'd think, "Well, fair enough." But Neil Young? Never in a million years.

As for the device itself, I am waiting for the inevitable technical teardown. I am virtually positive it's going to come down to OTS chips and typical Made in China assembly. You don't get to design microchips and leverage fancy assembly lines for a few million dollars.The idea is a good one, I think. But yeah, having good DAC's and other electronics is going to be necessary. OTS is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know that there are any good OTS DAC chips for the kind of quality this is promising. I would think that most of the OTS stuff is designed for 16 bit and probably 48000/sec at most. I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't have a digital output. That would be a big plus for people who have good gear that can take that kind of data as an input.

thesameguy
February 19th, 2015, 09:19 PM
The idea is a good one, I think. But yeah, having good DAC's and other electronics is going to be necessary. OTS is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know that there are any good OTS DAC chips for the kind of quality this is promising. I would think that most of the OTS stuff is designed for 16 bit and probably 48000/sec at most. I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't have a digital output. That would be a big plus for people who have good gear that can take that kind of data as an input.

It has a USB host and is designed to be connected via an external DAC to expensive gear, but has an internal one for running headphones. The USB port makes it one notch better than an iDevice since the to-analog conversion can be done by however expensive a device you can afford, The only real thing in the guts is a FLAC decoder - but since FLAC is lossless there just can't be that much variation in decoders. It's not like MP3s where there is a wide variation in decoders. Seems like anyone could replicate it. Plus, there are plenty high-end AV receivers that have USB ports and decode FLAC these days - I don't understand why your at-home device needs to be your portable device. It seems an answer to a question nobody asked - once you're on the headphones in the subway, what's the point of FLAC?

The *store* makes some sense, since some people might like to buy FLAC ready-made, but the device - to me - makes none. They should have just set up the FLAC store and provided the option of downloading high-bitrate MP3s for those who have no portable FLAC solution. Really all I think Pono is capable of doing is prompting Google and Apple to start stocking FLAC. If Pono shows even the slightest bit of success, Play and iTunes will bury it in a matter of months. As Slate and Ars allude, though, I think FLAC is like oxygen-free speaker wires. Nobody can tell, nobody will actually care.

I guess we'll see, that's just my opinion. But regardless of its technical merit, Neil Young and audio fidelity go together like Michael Bay and art flicks.

JoshInKC
February 23rd, 2015, 03:59 AM
The other day, Harris Wittels- a really funny comedian and writer, died. Which is a huge bummer because among other reasons, he was responsible for one of my favorite podcast bits of all time:
Harris's Foam Corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AweVgPJhVFQ&list=PLX60U7lDy85q3uLh-yfgyI6hWi_ULLs4i

He was also a writer on Parks and Recreation and played Harris, the Animal Control guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkplbd_nQFs

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 05:51 AM
He did an episode recently on Pete Holmes's podcast, You Made It Weird, where he detailed his problems with drugs and addiction. It was crazy what he put himself through just to get a fix, and how it took its chances to ruin his life.

http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

Sad, little man
February 23rd, 2015, 10:08 AM
Here's my point of irony for the day... Why is it possible to sell a physical copy of a movie or videogame used, but you can't sell a digital copy of the same thing as used?

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 10:13 AM
Because the people who would be behind transferring the license properly (ie without leaving a copy accessible to the original owner) are the same people who want everyone to buy it new.

I *think* Microsoft was attempting to set up digital re-sale when they were looking at an all digital/online solution for the XBox One. But more likely they were going to say it was a possibility and then never implement it.

Sad, little man
February 23rd, 2015, 10:16 AM
See, and this is why buying things in a strictly digital format is crap, and just another play by companies to squeeze more profits out of consumers.

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
That depends. I have never really liked selling old games. By the time I am willing to sell them, they will only get a couple bucks at most (before being repackaged and resold for $5-$10, of course). Conversely, with digital titles I don't need to bring a huge box of discs with me to travel, or swap them around to change. When I flew to Arizona in January, I went into my digital movie library and pinned a couple of movies to my phone. And having games saved on the Wii U is convenient not just when it comes to having to do the disc dance, but for showing the selection to people in a party setting. Instead of me going up and reading each game individually, they can see them displayed on the screen.

Don't get me wrong, they're far from perfect solutions. I still buy mostly Blu Rays for new movies, as I don't have a ton of trust in my internet connection when it comes to truly high quality streaming, and I like the behind the scenes stuff and deleted scenes, but I do think that digital media offers some very useful consumer benefits.

Sad, little man
February 23rd, 2015, 10:48 AM
That's what's so disturbing about the whole thing... People like you are willing to give up some of your rights related to the intellectual property you purchased just for the sake of some small conveniences that come along with giving up your rights related to that intellectual property.

thesameguy
February 23rd, 2015, 10:49 AM
That depends. I have never really liked selling old games. By the time I am willing to sell them, they will only get a couple bucks at most (before being repackaged and resold for $5-$10, of course). Conversely, with digital titles I don't need to bring a huge box of discs with me to travel, or swap them around to change. When I flew to Arizona in January, I went into my digital movie library and pinned a couple of movies to my phone. And having games saved on the Wii U is convenient not just when it comes to having to do the disc dance, but for showing the selection to people in a party setting. Instead of me going up and reading each game individually, they can see them displayed on the screen.

Don't get me wrong, they're far from perfect solutions. I still buy mostly Blu Rays for new movies, as I don't have a ton of trust in my internet connection when it comes to truly high quality streaming, and I like the behind the scenes stuff and deleted scenes, but I do think that digital media offers some very useful consumer benefits.

Pretty much on board with this. My only hesitation with digital media - at least DRM'd digital media - is that the operation that issues licenses for the DRM will pack up shop and leave me with content that can no longer be played. There is precedent for this, and it always worries me.

In the end, this doesn't much affect me because as a result of corporate America's shenanigans, I don't buy much media anymore. 1-2 video games annually is actually about it. I don't buy movies, I don't buy music. If I can't get it on Netflix or Pandora or whatever I go to something else. I'm just not playing the games as much as possible. If ten years ago the music or movie or video game industry had said, "Gimme $x annually and use whatever you like" I would have signed up for all of it, like I did Netflix. Instead they created all sorts of obstacles and limitations which forced me to choose between managing bullshit and doing something else. I chose doing something else. Now I'm out of the habit of buying this stuff and it turns out my life hasn't suffered. There isn't much these idiots could do now to get me back onboard.

Every so often I think "Man, I wish I could see that movie or listen to that song" and it's not available for streaming, which is upsetting. But would I have really traded that dinner or drink or tank of gas and the space in the house to have the movie or song I've thought of once in a decade? Nope. I really wouldn't.

novicius
February 23rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
See, and this is why buying things in a strictly digital format is crap, and just another play by companies to squeeze more profits out of consumers.
Depreciation hits most things hard and games are among the hardest hit of all.

So if I see a deal in the ~$10 USD range for a formerly $60 USD digital download, I'm ok with that. I would have lost that value anyway -- but for any new Day 1 releases (and all movies), I still buy those on hi-def solid state. :up:

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
That's what's so disturbing about the whole thing... People like you are willing to give up some of your rights related to the intellectual property you purchased just for the sake of some small conveniences that come along with giving up your rights related to that intellectual property.

Go fuck yourself :)

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 12:22 PM
To expand on that, just because you're choosing to stick with as much old school, physical stuff as you can, and you prefer it, does not mean I'm "giving up my rights."

I understand my rights with the media when I'm purchasing it, it's an agreement between myself and the person selling them. You don't have infinite rights when you buy a physical album: you're not allowed to play it over the radio for others to listen to for free. You're not allowed to make your own music on top of it and then sell it. Same goes true for movies, you can't buy a BluRay and then charge for people to watch it (not legally, at least).

Every form of media you purchase comes with different amounts of capabilities and rights. Don't give me some hipster bullshit about how superior your old ways are and how I'm giving up my rights as a consumer because of it.

"Oh no, I can't sell my copy of the movie I bought 5 years ago to my friend. Oh well, I'll just torrent it and put it on a thumb drive for him."

thesameguy
February 23rd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Oh no, I can't sell my copy of the movie I bought 5 years ago to my friend.

Interesting thing about this is that studios et al have been trying to get this banned for decades. They've very nearly succeeded many times. If they don't just kill of physical media entirely, they will eventually win this.

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 01:07 PM
And then people will just download it illegally for free *shrug*

novicius
February 23rd, 2015, 01:14 PM
...or just pay the "nuisance fee" for those 2nd, 3rd or even 4th or 5th viewings and not worry about illegal downloads. The subscription price for several simultaneous on-demand services is still much cheaper than paying for cable/satellite & DVR.

Sad, little man
February 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Your rights may indeed be similar to if you had bought a physical copy, but they are much more fragile and somewhat more restricted.

True, you don't have infinite rights with a physical copy, but no one ever said you did. This isn't a matter of infinite rights vs restricted rights, it's just a matter of less vs more.

Of course every form of media you buy comes with its own rights. But the way we are now being sold digital content for the same price and if it's just as solid as a physical copy is very concerning to me.

This isn't just some hipster bullshit like records vs CDs. When all you're buying is a digital download that's copy protected, you're putting yourself in a very tenuous position. First and most obviously, yes, there's no way to sell it to someone later. Next, as tsg said, how long is the whole infrastructure that supports you being able to use that content going to be in place? I can dig out old PSX games from 20 years ago, throw them in a PS2, and they just work. They probably will still work until the CDs either degrade or TV or household electrical standards progress to the point where a PS2 won't even be able to be used any more. Where are all of your Wii downloads going to be in 20 years? Will Nintendo still be supporting everything that validates your downloads as genuine and allows you to play the games?

Ultimately, all you're getting when you buy a digital title is a long term rental, until the company you got it from either decides you can't use it anymore or gets tired of supporting it. With physical copies, you truly own the means to play the game.

George
February 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM
"Oh no, I can't sell my copy of the movie I bought 5 years ago to my friend."

I believe if you own a copy of the movie that you purchased legally, that is your property and you can sell it to anyone you wish. Otherwise, how could used record & CD stores stay in business? I belive the "crime" occurs when you copy the movie you legally own and sell or give that away.

novicius
February 23rd, 2015, 02:32 PM
Ultimately, all you're getting when you buy a digital title is a long term rental
Life is a long-term rental.

Sad, little man
February 23rd, 2015, 02:33 PM
True, but that doesn't mean you have to exacerbate the problem.

Sad, little man
February 23rd, 2015, 02:34 PM
I believe if you own a copy of the movie that you purchased legally, that is your property and you can sell it to anyone you wish. Otherwise, how could used record & CD stores stay in business? I belive the "crime" occurs when you copy the movie you legally own and sell or give that away.
George, I think Keith means that in reference to a digital copy, which you can't sell.

thesameguy
February 23rd, 2015, 03:03 PM

Yep, this is the first sale doctrine at work. However, it's worth noting that the first sale doctrine has a bunch of exceptions, including public exhibition. Really, it's yours to do with as you please with some limitations. There have been several attempts at exempting media (books, music, movies, games) from the FSD, but they've all failed. These attempts will continue, and our wonderful government will in all likelihood eventually cave, as they always do. In the meantime, the corporations fight in other ways. In video games, they've beat the system by including 0-day DLC that can only be downloaded once. In movies (bluray, anyway) they beat the system with Ultraviolet and online-only special features that you need a one-time code to access. Music probably doesn't matter, because iTunes already rules that world. ;)

But, for all the "I can do whatever I want with my disc" argument there is the limitation that you need that disc. You can rent, sell, or borrow anyone's media, sure, but if you lose that disc or you don't have it with you, what then? What if you're house burns down or your car is robbed? Warner Music isn't going to replace your CDs. Apple will happily let you download it again. Wanna play that new Jay Z track for Grandpa? Hope you brought it with you - or bought it on iTunes and it's on your phone with 50,000 other songs. I am *way* past

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419%2B52-2WpL._AA160_.jpghttp://www.home-shelving-guide.com/images/CSNmoremediastorage_CD_rack.jpg

and much prefer

http://nicetryship.com/images.php?search=B004G5WGHK

The idea of dedicating portions of my house to things I use once a year at best hurts my brain. Storing stuff for the "I might use it one day" is exacerbating a problem, as far as I'm concerned.

George
February 23rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
Oh.

Thanks for the education.

Again.

Hell, I still have boxes of cassette tapes I can't seem to part with. And I've been biting my tongue about a HDTV thread I was going to start because...well, you guys have heard it all before from me.

/climbs back into WayBack Machine and shuts the door

George
February 23rd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Oh, I will say I was amazed at something modern recently...and a little bit scared.

As I mentioned in my "which OS" thread in the Tech section, my wife bought a pretty nice laptop that's running Win8. This weekend I finally hooked up our scanner and printer to her machine so now we sort of have two home offices, except it's the printer and scanners that move instead of the laptops. She prefers to work at the dining room table and I like my man-cave in the basement. I don't expect to move the scanner and printer often but it was kind of nice to confirm that everything works.

So there I was, about to enter the password to unlock her Win8 machine, when I noticed her picture looking back at me. She had sort of a confused look, like "you want me to look at what?" She came over to explain that our son, who is SIX YEARS OLD, set up face-recognition capabilities for her, starting by taking her picture. While she was standing there next to me, explaining this, and looking at the screen, the computer recognized her face and logged her in, without a password!

I truly felt like I was in a Star Trek episode or something. I had never seen anything like that before outside of the movies.

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2015, 05:44 PM
Slm-
What you mentioned, a game that has to check in to be playable, is what Microsoft proposed and was forced to abandon due to consumer backlash. Console games do not require a check-in. I can and have played them with no internet connection. These aren't PC games where even the physical copies needed to check in or constantly be online to play.

People aren't just blindly accepting limited rights to get convenience, we're weighing the pros and cons of each transaction, we're not giving rights, we're doing what's best for our own use case.

thesameguy
February 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM
I truly felt like I was in a Star Trek episode or something. I had never seen anything like that before outside of the movies.

When you open your heart and let the technology in, life can be a wonderful place. ;) <3

Yw-slayer
February 23rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
The idea of dedicating portions of my house to things I use once a year at best hurts my brain. Storing stuff for the "I might use it one day" is exacerbating a problem, as far as I'm concerned.

This I agree with generally. I still buy some CDs, otherwise, I might as well stream stuff off Spotify unless I'm listening to it over something like a US$100K system and/or really want to hear the nuances.

Drachen596
February 23rd, 2015, 11:56 PM
a local car dealer has a McLaren P1, an MP4-12C AND a McLaren 650S convertible sitting in their show room..

how the hell did some dealer in this crap town amass that type of collection?

http://www.dreammakersautomotive.com/inventory/#/view-inventory/

thesameguy
February 24th, 2015, 07:13 AM
This I agree with generally. I still buy some CDs, otherwise, I might as well stream stuff off Spotify unless I'm listening to it over something like a US$100K system and/or really want to hear the nuances.

I would love to reach the point where I could have a room that could house a $100k stereo, because that would also mean I probably had the time to enjoy it, whilest other people did housework, yardwork, carwork, and, well, actual work. Sadly, I just don't have the brainpower to earn that sort of wage. But, if I did, where to keep the DVD-A storage would be the least of my concerns. ;)

novicius
February 24th, 2015, 07:37 AM
a local car dealer has a McLaren P1, an MP4-12C AND a McLaren 650S convertible sitting in their show room..

http://www.dreammakersautomotive.com/inventory/#/view-inventory/
There are more than a few rich farm kids in Indiana?

Yw-slayer
February 24th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I was at a friend's place the other night. The dad had a setup with a McIntosh pre-amp and dual Mark Levinson amps. The speakers were 5' 6" models with no brand name visible (we checked, dad wasn't home so we couldn't ask).

The only CDs he had were classical, but I have to say, the Pavarotti disc that someone put on sounded incredible, and amazingly lifelike. It was probably the best setup I've ever heard. My totally uneducated guess is that it also probably cost around US$80-100K, out of which the cables themselves probably cost around US$7-10K.

speedpimp
February 25th, 2015, 04:15 AM
Go fuck yourself :)

Oh yeah, take the dick deep, baby girl. That's it, ride that shit like it was a thoroughbred. Oh shit, fuck yeah, take that shit deep. Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, take that shit you sexy little hipster slit.

speedpimp
February 25th, 2015, 04:40 AM

Tin Cap, Komet or Mad Ants players that jumped the gun?

Also I'd be more interested in the Saleen SA 30 (http://www.dreammakersautomotive.com/inventory/#/vehicle-details/2014-dodge-challenger-supercharged-saleen-r-t-2-door-coupe-8dc11d30797c4178adc6cc1ba9031269/).

George
February 25th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I was recently given a Dyson vacuum cleaner that works fine and doesn't look very old at all, because a friend "upgraded" to the latest model.

WHO DOES THAT WITH VACUUM CLEANERS?

Oh well, now I feel like a tycoon because we have a dedicated basement vacuum and my wife isn't always asking me to move one vacuum cleaner around on three floors - just two now. And, I gotta say, that Dyson really sucks!

MR2 Fan
February 25th, 2015, 09:10 AM
I was recently given a Dyson vacuum cleaner that works fine and doesn't look very old at all, because a friend "upgraded" to the latest model.

WHO DOES THAT WITH VACUUM CLEANERS?

Shh, don't tell Apple or they'll make Vacuum Cleaners next.

Godson
February 25th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Well played.

MR2 Fan
February 26th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Net Neutrality passed the FCC today, meaning the internet will be considered a utility. Considered a victory by most sane people, after reviewing twitter, apparently a lot of republicans absolutely think it's the end of the world :rolleyes:

Kchrpm
February 26th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Rights belong only to corporations and gun owners, dammit, NOT THE PEOPLE!

thesameguy
February 26th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Well spoken. You have my vote.

Cam
February 28th, 2015, 05:32 AM
I'm having pizza for breakfast.

speedpimp
February 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Dude, you're a fucking animal.

overpowered
February 28th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Is it cold pizza out of the fridge left over from the night before? I've done that many times.

overpowered
March 1st, 2015, 01:17 AM
There's battle lines being drawn. Nobody's right if everybody's wrong. Young people speaking their minds. Getting so much resistance from behind.

overpowered
March 1st, 2015, 02:51 AM
So this happened:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/fifty-shades-grey-book-found-traces-herpes-cocaine-article-1.1520974

Alan P
March 1st, 2015, 02:05 PM
tested positive for traces of the herpes virus, which is notoriously spread through sexual activity and not by reading. :lol:

novicius
March 2nd, 2015, 08:27 AM
Were they alive? :erm: /serious

FaultyMario
March 3rd, 2015, 06:37 AM
Is it just me or does it look like J Mascis hasn't taken a shower since like 2007?

JoshInKC
March 3rd, 2015, 03:29 PM
That seems about right.
/Leaves to listen to Green Mind

JoshInKC
March 4th, 2015, 04:37 AM
So this is happening across the street from my house.
Seems that there were a couple of armed gas station robberies in the metro, an off-duty deputy was shot, and a vehicle associated with the robbers was ditched in my neighborhood. Helicopters with spotlights, K9 units, blocked streets, the whole 9 yards. They took 2 guys into custody, one close enough that I could hear the dude yelling from my porch. Still looking for one or two more as I type.
Update: They've gotten a 3rd suspect; and in the winter, my neighborhood looks like shit from the air. In the srping and summer it's all leafy and green. On the local news helicopter shots from today it looks like a grey wasteland.

Godson
March 4th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I can relate on the grey wasteland comment with my neighborhood.

Leon
March 4th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Damnit. Seagate external drive now only responds for a couple of seconds before flashing blue light and not working. Several months worth of downloads gone since last back ups.

First, and last Seagate drive ever purchased.

Back to WD again.