PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

speedpimp
June 5th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Watching the Deadwood movie.

The359
June 5th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Burned through all five episodes of Chernobyl in two nights, amazing stuff.

Leon
June 5th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Watching the final moments of the final episode of Chernobyl ... quality series. So worth the bleak depression it causes.

JSGeneral
June 6th, 2019, 03:35 AM
Watching the final moments of the final episode of Chernobyl ... quality series. So worth the bleak depression it causes.

If you've finished Chernobyl and you didn't know... there are 5 podcast episodes (each one was released after the episode) with the director/writer that is an incredible companion to the show. Each one deals with spoilers of that particular episode, so if you have only watched the first two, then I'd suggest only listening to the first two. But it's SO GOOD! Details about making it... Details about what got left out... Details about "did that REALLY happen" stuff... and to hear the director's emotion while talking about it... riveting, respectful, worth it.

Blerpa
June 6th, 2019, 04:12 AM
I use the SeriesGuide app on Android, I think it also notes the dates when stuff is on air, at least in US.

sandydandy
June 7th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Dark Phoenix came out today, so I’m definitely going to be watching it some time soon. I know the critics on Rotten Tomatoes have given it a brutal rating of 23%, but I’m not bothered by it. The audience score is 64%, so I know I’ll like it. Might not love it, but I’ll definitely like it. I don’t care for these movie critics and their opinions. Most of them are pompous and arrogant buffoons. I’m an X-Men purist, and always have been. They gave X-Men: Apocalypse a very low score as well, but I enjoyed that movie. I suspect it’ll be the same thing here.

Dark Phoenix was a major storyline in X-Men comics and animated series. They fucked it up the first time on the big screen, but I’m sure it was done right this time.

Cam
June 9th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Just watched the trailer for Ford vs Ferrari. I'm interested. :)

dodint
June 9th, 2019, 02:33 PM
It looks more Driven than Rush but maybe they will have time to clean up the Fast and Furious CGI before release.

Dicknose
June 9th, 2019, 03:53 PM
I am Mother on Netflix, good sci-fi. Doesn’t aim too high, but felt suspenseful and consistent.
Also saw first 3 eps of Chernoby. Had heard good stuff but was wondering how it would feel being almost docu-drama. Handy watching it with a Russian speaker!

sandydandy
June 9th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Saw Killer Cove (aka Fear Bay) on Netflix. Not rated very high, but I thought it was a decent enough way to kill an hour and a half.

MR2 Fan
June 10th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Saw "My Next Guest" David Letterman's Netflix show....with Kanye West. Supremely talented, supremely crazy...at least he's admitting it now

speedpimp
June 10th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Caught Ma yesterday at the theater. Octavia Spencer really makes that movie.
Watching Speed Kills, John Travolta's boat racing/drug dealing "epic". It's on Prime along with Gotti.

Cam
June 11th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Apollo 11, I thought it was fascinating and well-edited.

MR2 Fan
June 20th, 2019, 09:01 PM
https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/amB41Q9_700bwp.webp

sandydandy
June 21st, 2019, 07:49 AM
Saw Blackkklansman. Very good.

Leon
June 21st, 2019, 03:10 PM
Year of the Rabbit

New series by the guy who did Toast of London, What We Do in the Shadows (TV, not movie).

Potential for being blasphemously amusing, if they don't make it too unsubtle. Which they're skating on the edge of right now.

JoeW
June 21st, 2019, 05:55 PM
Ok so I may have missed it here if someone mentioned it. But if you have HULU check out Letterkenny...it's just funny as hell.

Leon
June 21st, 2019, 08:23 PM
Ok so I may have missed it here if someone mentioned it. But if you have HULU check out Letterkenny...it's just funny as hell.

Yup it was mentioned I think at about the same time as Corner Gas. I have "obtained" it, and am awaiting time to appear in my schedule in which to watch.

speedpimp
June 22nd, 2019, 02:56 PM
The new season of The Detour just started. The previous three seasons are on Hulu.

Tom Servo
June 22nd, 2019, 04:39 PM
Still working on Chernobyl. Love it, but it's a tough slog. Never got into Veep the first time around, but figure while I've got this HBO subscription I might as well give it a go.

mk
June 24th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Trapped.
(TV series from Iceland)

MR2 Fan
June 24th, 2019, 01:21 PM
I know this is a few months outdated but....I'm starting to change my mind about Captain Marvel...not that it's a bad movie...I just think Brie Larson wasn't the best choice. She doesn't sell her character very well and she's also very strange in her interviews.

I didn't want to follow the bashing by man-children about her comments. It isn't about that, she just has other issues, as explained pretty well in this, IMO, quite fair video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCcDrG2NjM

Tom Servo
June 24th, 2019, 03:12 PM
That thumbnail just reminded me of this article I read earlier today.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zme97a/inside-the-strange-world-of-youtube-thumbnails

speedpimp
June 24th, 2019, 03:51 PM
City On A Hill. Bank robbers in Boston in the late 80s and Kevin Bacon is an FBI agent.

Cam
July 3rd, 2019, 09:06 AM
District 9. Good film, but I found it also disturbing and sad.

sandydandy
July 4th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Started season 3 of Stranger Things. Glad they had the recap at the beginning, cause I completely forgot what happened in season 2.

Freude am Fahren
July 4th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I downloaded the entire third season to start on my flights tomorrow.

Was the recap at the beginning of the first episode, or a separate 'episode' like some shows/streamers do? I'll need that as well.

Also started a couple new shows:

Animal Kingdom: Interesting, but a bit out there believably wise. Another one of those shows I watch on Amazon or whatever and think, "this was on basic cable?"

Good Omens: Very entertaining so far.

Cam
July 4th, 2019, 09:15 PM
I have been sick this week, so I have been watching a few things.

The Gymkana Files. Documentary series about Ken Block’s Gymkana videos and his racing endeavours. Enjoyable if you like his stuff.

Started watching Jack Ryan. Only a few episodes in, but I am compelled to watch more.

Blerpa
July 5th, 2019, 03:55 AM
Stranger Things 3: it was fun. Not as epic as first season, but who cares?

Dustin singing Never Ending Story with Suzie in the middle of the final episode made my day!

And

I liked the new Robin character

Also

Seems obvious to me that Hopper is not dead and he is the american imprisoned in the russian secret facility

The original Animal Kingdom is from Australia and if I recall correctly (never got around to watch it) is brutal.

sandydandy
July 5th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Was the recap at the beginning of the first episode, or a separate 'episode' like some shows/streamers do? I'll need that as well. The recap started as soon as I started the first episode. It looked to be a separate episode of its own.

Last night I watched Get Out. Sooooo good. An absolute gem of a movie. I read the budget on it was only $4.5M, but it made $255M at the box office. Unreal return. I highly recommend it.

speedpimp
July 5th, 2019, 03:02 PM
On episode 6 of the new Stranger Things. A few nitpicking things. The Burger King, 7-11 and New Coke tie-ins are fucking annoying. Most annoying of all is that the cars with Indiana plates have both front and rear plates, Indiana has rear plates only.

Freude am Fahren
July 5th, 2019, 06:42 PM
They do that all the time with Florida too.

Tom Servo
July 5th, 2019, 06:57 PM
District 9. Good film, but I found it also disturbing and sad.

That was a really great movie

Blerpa
July 6th, 2019, 12:54 AM
I know this is a few months outdated but....I'm starting to change my mind about Captain Marvel...not that it's a bad movie...I just think Brie Larson wasn't the best choice. She doesn't sell her character very well and she's also very strange in her interviews.

I didn't want to follow the bashing by man-children about her comments. It isn't about that, she just has other issues, as explained pretty well in this, IMO, quite fair video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCcDrG2NjM

So basically this is a guide how to look and sound like an hypocritical always-smiling goody two-shoes american type? The type we foreigners find annoying, fake for the sake of pleasing everyone and unbearable? Good to know.
She's top in that scene with Hemsworth and Cheadle: stick for yourself and point out. You go girl.

Also... in the movies she's one of the strongest superheroes in the galaxy: she was perfect, smirking and being aware of her awesomeness, flaunting it around. I mean, she's bloody Captain Marvel!
That's a superhero... not a self deprecating moron like Peter Parker.

EDIT: Also this comment on YouTube really explains part of it
"None of this is based on actual science or insight into universal human traits. On the contrary, it's highly culturally specific, and I don't just mean mainstream American rather than French or British.

It's riddled with assumptions about class, sex, race, social status... When it comes down to it, if other people are making negative judgements about you on the basis of how superficially "likeable" you are, rather than how you behave and treat them in the long run, then these are superficial people who are probably not worth knowing.

Don Cheadle has on several occasions said in very clear terms that these trouble-stirring rumours are just silly speculation. I would add that it's also a good example of certain people/outlets deciding in advance that a film or actor does not deserve success and then priming the public to dislike it or them. You'd do better to ask yourselves who made this decision and why, rather than just following the herd."

I only disagree with the highly culturally specific part, this is such american social behaviour mumbo jumbo it makes us europeans cringe hard.

Kchrpm
July 6th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Dude bros who are angered by Brie Larson's outspoken nature are grabbing at the tiniest of things to "prove" any negative thing they can think of about her. I ignore all of it, but it gets tons of hits so it will continue.

tigeraid
July 7th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Videos like that, and their popularity, make me realize the Internet was a mistake.

MR2 Fan
July 7th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Watched Spiderman: Far from Home...better than I expected it was going to be....one of the better MCU movies IMO.

Also binge watched Stranger Things 3- really enjoyed this season, better than season 2.

sandydandy
July 9th, 2019, 05:38 AM
Very sluggish start for me with Stranger Things 3. Only 2 1/2 episodes in. Hasn’t captured me yet like the previous seasons. Hope to get through it by the end of the week.

MR2 Fan
July 9th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Very sluggish start for me with Stranger Things 3. Only 2 1/2 episodes in. Hasn’t captured me yet like the previous seasons. Hope to get through it by the end of the week.

It gets better toward the end

JoeW
July 9th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Watched it...loved it.

I was 13 in ‘84 so this movie speaks to me. In fact, the more shameful ads the better because it all takes me back to my youth.

sandydandy
July 9th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Onto episode 5 now. Gotten a little better. Billy has definitely got the Brian Pillman (Sr) look going.

sandydandy
July 11th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Done Stranger Things 3. It was pretty good.

Of course Hopper is still alive, he must be.

Sad that Billy had to die. At least they added a few dimensions to his character before killing him off.

Blerpa
July 11th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Done Stranger Things 3. It was pretty good.

Of course Hopper is still alive, he must be.

Sad that Billy had to die. At least they added a few dimensions to his character before killing him off.

I liked this season a lot.
Also...

The russians kept calling Hopper "The American" through the whole season, so it must be him.
Billy already had hints of a complex personality and stormy past in last season, this was apt to the character and a nice, albeit really sad, send off to him.
Also... poor Alexei.
Suziepoo and Dustybun scene was awesome.

speedpimp
July 11th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Finished up Stranger Things. Seems like it was just ok this time around.
This season of Archer has been hit and miss.
New season of Mr. Inbetween is coming in Sept.
The Righteous Gemstones, a comedy with Danny McBride and John Goodman as televangelists debuts on Aug. 18.
The season three premiere of Snowfall was really damned good.

Phil_SS
July 17th, 2019, 10:04 AM
True Detective Season 3: Pretty damn good. Though not as good as S1.

tigeraid
July 17th, 2019, 12:01 PM
True Detective Season 3: Pretty damn good. Though not as good as S1.

Both the leads knock it out of the park. Their acting is so damn good that you can overlook a lot of the little minor problems and unanswered questions.

Leon
July 17th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Rewatching Cougar Town. It starts off so weak, but then gets so enjoyable.

JoshInKC
July 18th, 2019, 07:00 PM
PENNY CAN

Leon
July 19th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Rimshot!

[ear flick]

MR2 Fan
July 20th, 2019, 06:32 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_9xpZJUwAAMeC4.jpg:large

...just some of the stuff announced at the SDCC MCU panel, overwhelming info happening!

sandydandy
July 22nd, 2019, 02:24 AM
Saw Secret Obsession. I thought it was pretty good. A little predictable but still good.

JoshInKC
July 22nd, 2019, 04:10 AM
Halfway through 4th season of Veronica Mars- pretty good so far. A few things are a little confusing, but it turns out that that is due to there being novels (which I haven't read) which are considered canon.
But overall, they're really doing the best version of the show with their streaming-based latitude as far as content goes.

FaultyMario
July 22nd, 2019, 07:24 AM
...just some of the stuff announced at the SDCC MCU panel, overwhelming info happening!

I'd rather they went with Tessa Thompson over Portman for 'Love and Thunder'. Much, much hotter.

tigeraid
July 22nd, 2019, 08:27 AM
the Jane Foster/Thor story in the books has been the best story arc in a very long time for Marvel. Glad they got her back and glad they're going with that.

Also LOVE Mahershala Ali as Blade. That's gonna fucking rule. But it better have a badass sound track like the first movie!

MR2 Fan
July 22nd, 2019, 10:22 AM
I'd rather they went with Tessa Thompson over Portman for 'Love and Thunder'. Much, much hotter.

looks like she's in it too....looking for her queen

sandydandy
July 22nd, 2019, 06:11 PM
Watched the Killing of a Sacred Deer. What a total waste of two hours. :mad:

Tom Servo
July 22nd, 2019, 06:32 PM
The trailer for Cats and then just shrieking repeatedly in sheer, unadulterated horror.

Blerpa
July 23rd, 2019, 12:42 AM
The trailer for Cats and then just shrieking repeatedly in sheer, unadulterated horror.

It is, to me, the most hideous thing I've seen in a long time. Truly.

tigeraid
July 23rd, 2019, 06:25 AM
*sqeeeeeeeee*

http://youtu.be/kNIim3xqsEU

dodint
July 23rd, 2019, 06:37 AM
http://nathangess.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/mister-r.jpg

They're shooting the Mister Rogers movie across the street from my house. They asked us not to mow the lawn or run power tools this week which might actually kill some of my neighbors that can't go more than three days without operating a mower.

They said they wouldn't block traffic longer than three minutes at a time. As you can see, they've opted to just block the road entirely rather than accommodate the people that live here. They also said they'd be doing some driving scenes so this circus will be going up and down the road at some point this week.

Drove past it yesterday when everything was put in place but not erected. They ordered a really sweet early/mid 80s Nissan Maxima and it was sitting at the curb. It looks showroom new. I never thought I'd say I drove a Delorean through a Tom Hanks movie set about Mr. Rogers, but here we are.

Our house is in the background during one of the shots in the trailer, at 1:42:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLEPhfEN2M

MR2 Fan
July 23rd, 2019, 07:32 AM
I'm 20 years late, but I finally watched The Sixth Sense. I only knew very basic info about the movie and that there was some kind of plot twist.....which I figured out within the first 10 minutes.

Honestly a lot of it doesn't make sense and I understand why M Night was panned for later movies. He cheats pretty badly with the plot devices in this movie.

Example:

Bruce Willis's character doesn't realize his wife doesn't see him for months or up to a year?

I feel like it could have been polished a bit more to easily overcome those flaws.

sandydandy
July 23rd, 2019, 07:46 AM
Example:

Bruce Willis's character doesn't realize his wife doesn't see him for months or up to a year? . From what I've read/heard about ghosts and post-death, you move in and out of a dream state with no concept of time and oblivious to details. That's one possible explanation for this.

FaultyMario
July 23rd, 2019, 08:35 AM
Coolio!

Watching American Gods. Slowly because we can only do so after the lil one is gone to bed.

MR2 Fan
July 23rd, 2019, 09:56 AM
From what I've read/heard about ghosts and post-death, you move in and out of a dream state with no concept of time and oblivious to details. That's one possible explanation for this.

It just feels lazy to me though

Tom Servo
July 23rd, 2019, 01:00 PM
From what I've read/heard about ghosts and post-death, you move in and out of a dream state with no concept of time and oblivious to details. That's one possible explanation for this.

Hell, I do that in normal life at work.

FaultyMario
July 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM
The replicant has died. RIP Mr. Hauer.

“Movies are like books, just another way of telling a story, and even if I’m reluctant, I still have to look at it again. There was a pedophile that they wanted me to play once, and I thought, ‘Should I give this my full effort?’ And you go, ‘Of course you should! If you think you can do it, of course you should.’ There are many stories that need to be told. There are people who are like, ‘Oh, it’s violent.’ It’s a movie, for Christ’s sake! When are we going to stop thinking that all of this is real? It’s an illusion. And I like it there; I live there. I like the horror of the illusion and the beauty of it too.”

tigeraid
July 24th, 2019, 11:50 AM
:toast::(

sandydandy
July 24th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Hell, I do that in normal life at work. Yup that’s pretty much the only way to get through the day for most people.

Anyway, watched Splice last night. Saw it a long time ago as well, and it’s still a great movie.

Drachen596
July 27th, 2019, 02:17 AM
Watched the Speed Racer movie.

Man that movie has some brightly colored scenes. Its a greatly enjoyable movie for me though

speedpimp
July 28th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Saw Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood today and loved the hell out of it.

sandydandy
July 28th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Watched the docuseries Haunted. Supposedly based on true stories. Some genuine scary moments. Almost every episode would end on a grim note. No resolutions, which sucked. But overall a worthwhile series if you enjoy almost losing your shit alone in the dark.

Blerpa
July 29th, 2019, 01:53 AM
Glass (Shamalyan): intriguing, with an incredible James McAvoy.
Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse: spectacular, the best rendition ever of Spider-man.
Mortal Engines: abysmal pig manure tripe. Awful teen adventurous steampunk mish mash.

George
July 29th, 2019, 06:28 AM
I'm 20 years late, but I finally watched The Sixth Sense. I only knew very basic info about the movie and that there was some kind of plot twist.....which I figured out within the first 10 minutes.

I remember being glad I hadn't figured out exactly what was going on until it was revealed.

But, I did notice...

...Bruce Willis's shirt. There was something unusual about it - was it buttoned up all the way up but with no necktie? Something like that made me notice that he didn't seem to change clothes.

Later, that made sense.

MR2 Fan
July 29th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Recently someone was blaming steampunk for people not going to see the movies. No, the movies suck either way, don't blame steampunk for it.

I really like the steampunk aesthetic, however it's also not that well defined for many people.

George
July 29th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Saw Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood today and loved the hell out of it.

Oh, man, I can't wait!

I have gone from thinking his movies were really bizarre and too gory for my tastes to movies that must be seen.

Blerpa
July 29th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Recently someone was blaming steampunk for people not going to see the movies. No, the movies suck either way, don't blame steampunk for it.

I really like the steampunk aesthetic, however it's also not that well defined for many people.

Totally agree, I like steampunk, but the movie was piss poor.

MR2 Fan
July 29th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Totally agree, I like steampunk, but the movie was piss poor.

I think something like a Batman or Iron Man story in a Steampunk, turn of the 20th century era would be interesting

speedpimp
July 29th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Oh, man, I can't wait!

I have gone from thinking his movies were really bizarre and too gory for my tastes to movies that must be seen.

You will not be disappointed.

JoeW
July 29th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Watched the first episode of The Boys on Amazon. Fucking amazing show so far. Right up my superhero alley.

speedpimp
July 30th, 2019, 03:54 PM
If you've seen Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood you know about Lancer, which, as it turns out, was a real show. The pilot lives on on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=PvdV7HEb1lE

FaultyMario
July 30th, 2019, 03:56 PM
'bout to watch Endgame.

Because too long for a theater sitting with the blessing.

FaultyMario
July 30th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Watched the first episode of The Boys on Amazon. Fucking amazing show so far. Right up my superhero alley.

I don't know about Prime, man.

They still haven't thrown us Mexicans season 2 of Good Omens. And American Gods is frankly hit and miss.

I fuckin' hate "puppy".

Waiting to put the man in the high castle under wraps.

JoeW
July 30th, 2019, 04:37 PM
I will miss the man in the high castle. Great show. The Boys is on Prime as well.

Another show I was sad ended recently was The Americans. Great show.

Freude am Fahren
July 30th, 2019, 04:45 PM
I don't know about Prime, man.

They still haven't thrown us Mexicans season 2 of Good Omens. And American Gods is frankly hit and miss.

Good Omens only has one season so far.

Blerpa
July 31st, 2019, 01:14 AM
Good Omens is concluded. It was a one season affair.
Finally got around to watch the final season of House of Cards: damn if they did drag it a lot. Tension for the sake of tension. A mediocre season, although the acting was still good.

tigeraid
July 31st, 2019, 11:15 AM
Prime now has The Expanse. Do the right thing.

speedpimp
August 2nd, 2019, 04:14 PM
Hobbs & Shaw is amazing and awesome.

sandydandy
August 3rd, 2019, 09:26 AM
Saw an Affair to Die For. Thought it was pretty clever...refreshingly so, in the first half at least. It started to tank pretty hard after that, and ended quite poorly. Overall pretty shitty.

FaultyMario
August 5th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Good Omens only has one season so far.

Really?

Bummer.

George
August 5th, 2019, 10:01 AM
I caught something on Sunday morning on the History channel that was unexpected - https://www.history.com/specials/battle-of-the-80s-supercars-with-david-hasselhoff

The episode I saw was a race between David Hasselhoff driving K.I.T.T., Erik Estrada riding a CHiPs motorcycle, and Dirk Benedict driving the A-Team van. The flag girl was Catherine Bach. Everyone looked old but not bad.

I had it on in the background while doing stuff in the kitchen but from what I could see it went on way too long. They were on racetrack in what looked like Middle Of Nowhere, California and they kept going on with different scenarios. At one point, the van was beating both the T/A and the police motorcycle on the twisty road course. Hmm. Seems like Ponch would have blown 'em both away on the first lap. K.I.T.T. takes second. Roll credits.

Anyway, it was cool for about five minutes. Questions that must be asked: Where was Mr. T, Daisy's yellow Plymouth Road Runner, and them Duke boys?

Phil_SS
August 5th, 2019, 12:16 PM
In terms of on screen persona, it's not even close, K.I.T.T. would win in a landslide. He could go into Super Pursuit Mode an trounce the two of them.

In terms of real life, amazingly enough the van might be the fastest. The early 80's T/A's are absolute dogs. Like 150HP. The motorcycle should be quicker but they aren't speed demons either. They had 90HP but remember they had a bunch of stuff strapped to them. I agree it should beat the T/A.
The A-Team van can technically have a bunch of HP since it is a custom ride. Plus suspension mods etc.

While I agree, I think the CHiPS bike should be the winner, the A-team van coming in first wouldn't surprise me.

As far as the Duke boys, can't show that on TV anymore, it's racist. And there are a host of other iconic TV cars that come before KITT. Hello Striped Tomato, General Lee, Magnum's 308 and Rockford's Firebird.

George
August 5th, 2019, 02:12 PM
In terms of on screen persona, it's not even close, K.I.T.T. would win in a landslide. He could go into Super Pursuit Mode an trounce the two of them.

Hmm. I watched that show some back then but the only details I remember are the haughty car chiding Michael for this and that, sort of like a nagging wife. Or at least that's how I remember it now.

Hardcastle & McCormick was more my style.

Phil_SS
August 5th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Coyote!

K.I.T.T. Stands for Knight Industries Two Thousand. While it did have an AI system that talked to Michael and could self drive the car. It also had a mode that made it crazy fast. Aka Super Pursuit Mode.

And that was only the first edition of K.I.T.T. Which was destroyed when it went up against Michael’s evil brother and his Big Rig version of KITT, named CARR. They then rebuilt K.I.T.T. and he became more powerful and Super Pursuit Mode became even more rediculous. He would transform and have all these crazy wings come out etc and was possible of like 300 mph.

dodint
August 5th, 2019, 06:46 PM
The Coyote from Hardcastle & McCormick was a kitted Delorean.

http://www.jayohrberg.com/resources/_wsb_508x362_Coyote+5.jpg

Yw-slayer
August 6th, 2019, 05:17 AM
I am watching daily/weekly live-action, high-stakes police and political drama! Entirely (well, most likely I guess) locally produced and directed.

Coyote!

K.I.T.T. Stands for Knight Industries Two Thousand. While it did have an AI system that talked to Michael and could self drive the car. It also had a mode that made it crazy fast. Aka Super Pursuit Mode.

And that was only the first edition of K.I.T.T. Which was destroyed when it went up against Michael’s evil brother and his Big Rig version of KITT, named CARR. They then rebuilt K.I.T.T. and he became more powerful and Super Pursuit Mode became even more rediculous. He would transform and have all these crazy wings come out etc and was possible of like 300 mph.

K.I.T.T.'s death was traumatic. Not as traumatic as the death of Optimus Prime in Transformers: The Movie, but still bad.

FaultyMario
August 8th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Dude, I don't know what kind of monsters Marvel Studios has created with Avengers Endgame.

Phil_SS
August 8th, 2019, 05:20 AM
The Coyote from Hardcastle & McCormick was a kitted Delorean.

http://www.jayohrberg.com/resources/_wsb_508x362_Coyote+5.jpg

At first I was like "There is no fuckin way that is true!" And I was partially right.

"Most of the cars made for the show were molded and assembled by either Mike Fennel or Unique Movie Cars. Like many kit cars of the time, the car uses a chassis from a Volkswagen Beetle and its engine from a Porsche 914. For the second and third seasons, producers used a different Coyote which was based on a DMC DeLorean, as Brian Keith had difficulty getting in and out of the original Coyote."

The only version I remember is the McLaren Kit car version. TBH, the DMC based version is fugly and looks all wrong.

dodint
August 8th, 2019, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I figured you'd dig into it and see the technicality. I stand by my statement. It ran for three season and for the majority, two seasons, it was a DMC.

Not that we're proud of it. It is fugly and they had a really hard time keeping them running during and after the show. The only really notable thing is that they made an open top gullwing for some reason. The way I found out about it was searching for "gullwing sunroof" one day on a whim.

Leon
August 9th, 2019, 01:36 AM
That is just a mobile "do not want" from me

JoeW
August 9th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Watched the Spider Verse thing. Only made it halfway through before I turned it off. It just didn’t do anything for me.

Finished The Boys...fucking amazing.

MR2 Fan
August 9th, 2019, 04:49 PM
woohoo, I'm not the only one who wasn't overjoyed by the Spider Verse movie....I mean it was fine, but I have no urge to watch it again

FaultyMario
August 9th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Really?, I thought it was a masterpiece.

JoeW
August 10th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Maybe it’s a Florida thing?

MR2 Fan
August 10th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Maybe it’s a Florida thing?

:lol:

MR2 Fan
August 13th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Watched GLOW Season 3....it's definitely a weird show....never seems to have a specific plot thread really, just lots of relatively random things happening IMO but still entertaining.

Drachen596
August 14th, 2019, 05:06 AM
So I've seen Godzilla, Aladdin, and Detective Pikachu.

I honestly enjoyed all 3 of them. Godzilla was amazing and almost exactly what I was expecting.

Aladdin was better than I was thinking it would be and Will Smith did a good job though the CGI was a bit off when he spoke.

Detective Pikachu is a movie that was better than I hoped and I would see a sequel.

tigeraid
August 15th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Watched GLOW Season 3....it's definitely a weird show....never seems to have a specific plot thread really, just lots of relatively random things happening IMO but still entertaining.

Did you watch S1 and S2 though?

It feels a bit more like a sitcom now (a very funny, filthy one) rather than a big long story arc. Not that that's a bad thing. Watching women badly wrestle gets old.

MR2 Fan
August 15th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Did you watch S1 and S2 though?

It feels a bit more like a sitcom now (a very funny, filthy one) rather than a big long story arc. Not that that's a bad thing. Watching women badly wrestle gets old.

Yes, I've watched all 3 seasons

Tom Servo
August 15th, 2019, 05:01 PM
3 episodes into season 3 of Glow, so far I'm really liking it.

Tom Servo
August 16th, 2019, 09:11 PM
Watched a few more, I feel like there's totally a story arc. It's about how the glitz of Vegas and the success of the show are both not necessarily good things.

speedpimp
August 17th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Burned through GLOW last weekend and riding a wildfire through season two of Mindhunter.

FaultyMario
August 20th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Season 2 of Mindhunter. Holt McCallany is superb. Truly, credible dad.

sandydandy
August 20th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Starting on the second season of The Sinner. The first season was excellent. Hope this one lives up to it.

Yobbo NZ
August 20th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Wife and I just finished Happy! on Netflix.
It got weirder as it went along. I still don't really know what the hell I watched.

sandydandy
August 21st, 2019, 09:06 AM
Blew through the second season of the Sinner. Binge watched all 8 episodes over roughly six hours. It was really good. I was also delighted to read that the show has been renewed for a third season.

Dicknose
August 22nd, 2019, 10:32 PM
Ok so I just started Mindhunter (well Im 30 mins in to ep 1) - the main character is called Holden Ford. And he says his name every few minutes and I lose it everytime.
Enjoying it, but damn hard to watch when his name seems like a bad joke.
Was one of the writers and Australian trying to slip this past everyone??

speedpimp
August 24th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Finished up S 1 of Wu Assassins, S 2 of Mind Hunter, S4 of The Detour and S 1 of The Boys. All of those are worth a look.
S3 of Snowfall is just as good as the first two.
Enjoying the hell out of the new season of Baskets.
Finished S 1 of City On A Hill. Kevin Bacon was great.

Tom Servo
August 25th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Loved the third season of Glow. Also, kicking myself for waiting this long to watch Veep, that show is fucking hilarious.

Also watched Lords of Chaos. It was...ok. I felt like the guy they cast as Varg was all wrong.

tigeraid
August 26th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Finally sat down and watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

da fuck.

FaultyMario
August 26th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Enjoying it, but damn hard to watch when his name seems like a bad joke.
Was one of the writers and Australian trying to slip this past everyone??

From Season 2:

https://studentedgeapplication.azureedge.net/articles/d8830ff8-9014-46fd-9af5-40bb8ad32bf9.jpg

JoeW
August 26th, 2019, 09:11 AM
I too watched the Evangelion original series. Last couple of episodes ruined it for me. Made me not even want to watch the other two Evangelion movies.

tigeraid
August 27th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I too watched the Evangelion original series. Last couple of episodes ruined it for me. Made me not even want to watch the other two Evangelion movies.

End of Evangelion is useful in at least putting an end to the story, and takes the themes of those last two episodes and wraps them up properly. It's still immensely depressing and severe, but it at least it helps make more sense. I'd recommend it to at least help wrap your brain around it.

But still.

JoeW
August 27th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Cool. I will probably do that. The series drew me in and made me want more until those last couple of episodes. So slow and repetitive in so many scenes. Some scenes had me skipping 10 secs at a time because I didn’t want to hear them saying the same thing over 5 times in a row. It was an excruciating end to an otherwise great 20+ episodes.

JoeW
September 1st, 2019, 05:50 PM
Carnival Row = awesome

sandydandy
September 4th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Watching the third season of 13 Reasons Why. I never actually intending on watching it after the atrocious second season, but then thought what the hell.

Halfway through and it’s really good. The writing is much improved over the previous season. Edge of your seat stuff.

sandydandy
September 5th, 2019, 04:54 AM
Ok finished it. The ending wasn’t that great, but it’s okay. I looked it up and can’t believe Season 3 is rated so low. Something like 6% on Rotten Tomatoes. That’s insane. It wasn’t that bad. In fact it wasn’t bad at all.

JoeW
September 5th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Watching Hyperdrive on Netflix. Kind of cheesy but a lot of interesting cars from all walks of life. Drifting is the main talent here but the best driver IMO is an older Japanese drift instructor. He is the only guy out there NOT using a drift brake. Just old school clutch and throttle.

speedpimp
September 6th, 2019, 03:55 PM
I watched the first two episodes. The biggest surprise was Charlize Theron speaking Afrikans.

Freude am Fahren
September 7th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Watched The Boys this week. What an excellent show.

JoeW
September 7th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Finally someone else watched it...amazing right?

JoshInKC
September 8th, 2019, 04:39 AM
Just finished the 3rd and final season of Legion. Man, that was good weird show.

George
September 9th, 2019, 12:33 PM
I saw two old movies this weekend, which is unusual for me.

Iron Man - 2008. My son has been after me to watch this with him for a while now. He's seen it who knows how many times. Great movie, I thought. Having kids to watch this stuff with makes it all the more fun. I had heard this movie didn't have much of a script and the actors ad-libbed around a basic outline, but it seemed as polished and professional as anything else. Jeff Bridges once again proves his versatility and Robert Downey Jr. is quite charismatic, I've decided. Or maybe that's Tony Stark. I'm looking forward to all the other movies in the MCU - I've only seen Captain Marvel, Endgame, and Spiderman: Far From Home so far. Oh, and I caught a bit of Avengers (not Avengers This or Avengers That, but just plain Avengers) on a plane, but didn't get to see more than about halfway through.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - 1957. From wikipedia: "The film [won] seven Academy Awards (including Best Picture)... In 1997, the film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the United States Library of Congress. It has been included on the American Film Institute's list of best American films ever made.[4][5] In 1999, the British Film Institute voted The Bridge on the River Kwai the 11th greatest British film of the 20th century."

I had it on while doing some housework Saturday afternoon. Turner Classic Movies doesn't have commercials, so I often found myself rooted to the spot, standing up, paused while walking from one room to another, and watching it for longer than I expected after I caught it right at the beginning. I've seen it before, a couple of times, but not in many years. It is a great story of human personalities and motivation. I suppose you could say that every movie is about people who are motivated to act in certain ways and whose agendas compete or clash with others', but this one is a more interesting character study than some films.

Interesting (to me) trivia: Author Pierre Boulle wrote the novel. He also wrote Planet Of The Apes.

SportWagon
September 9th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Guess what I'm humming now?

George
September 9th, 2019, 03:06 PM
You should be whistling! :)

George
September 9th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Do you guys know the silly kids' song about Comet, the powdered cleaner? It is sung to the same tune.

:sing:

Comet
Will make your teeth turn green

Comet
It tastes like gasoline

Comet
Will make you vomit

So try some Comet
And vomit
today!

Phil_SS
September 10th, 2019, 05:04 AM
The Bridge on the River Kwai - 1957. From wikipedia: "The film [won] seven Academy Awards (including Best Picture)... In 1997, the film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the United States Library of Congress. It has been included on the American Film Institute's list of best American films ever made.[4][5] In 1999, the British Film Institute voted The Bridge on the River Kwai the 11th greatest British film of the 20th century."

It also helps it is based on real events that happened during the war.

And I remember the whistling song more from The Great Escape. But that was because it was a more popular movie to show here in the states. Especially during the Christmas holidays. Those old war movies always seemed to be on during the weekends when I was a kid.

Myself:

Walking Dead Season 9: Has been added to Netflix so I can finally get to see how it ends. I'm about half way through. Not bad so far.

Orange is the New Black Season 7: Final season for this as well. Most of it was forgettable. I think they could have ended it after last season. It seemed to me that the only reason to have the season was to portray the anti-immigrant message of the Trump Admin. Those parts were fairly well done but the rest was very meh. The season coulda been half as long and still portrayed the issue.

dodint
September 10th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Ash and I are in the process of cord cutting away from DirecTV. Looks like we're going to land with Playstation Vue. Even at their highest plan we'll be paying less than half what we were to DirecTV. The DVR is a little harder to work with but everything else seems doable.

The main exception being Penguins games. The NHL and the Pens have made it impossible to stream their games if you live in Pittsburgh. So, f them, going to stream them from r/NHLStreams until they find a way for me to pay them for their product.

SportWagon
September 10th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Do you guys know the silly kids' song about Comet, the powdered cleaner? It is sung to the same tune.

:sing:

Comet
Will make your teeth turn green

Comet
It tastes like gasoline

Comet
Will make you vomit

So try some Comet
And vomit
today!

Following is dubious for work...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Has_Only_Got_One_Ball

I learned a different ranking, not mentioned there, as follows...
Hitler! Has only got one ball!
Goebbels has two, but very small!
Himmler is somewhat sim'ler,
And Göring has no balls at all!https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Bogey_March
Ah yes. It was very embarrassing when a Canadian military band decided to use the tune to greet a visiting Japanese dignitary.

And hey, yes, I made my Commodore 64 play it too. There are actually two distinct parts to the complete tune.

And I remember the whistling song more from The Great Escape. But that was because it was a more popular movie to show here in the states.Is that the one they played sometimes on the Simpsons when Lisa managed to "escape"? I can't get that one in mental focus right now, with Bogey crowding in. Hogan's Heroes is actually coming more naturally.

George
September 10th, 2019, 12:00 PM
^ See? Now that's quality content you can't get anywhere but here. :lol: :up:

I don't remember that from The Simpsons, but I probably would if I saw it. I watched that pretty religiously for the first ten or so years it was on.

The Great Escape is one of my favorite movies. I have it on DVD and remember that the bonus material on the DVD was really good, such as how they built the prison camp in the woods in Austria or somewhere like that for the movie (going from memory here; might not be Austria) and that actor Donald Pleasance ("The Forger") had actually been in the RAF, was shot down in WWII, and had himself been a prisoner in a German POW camp.

I think I also remember that director John Sturges had wanted to make The Great Escape for years but couldn't get the backing to do so. Then he made The Magnificent Seven and the studio told him he could make whatever he wanted next since Seven was such a hit. Even more trivia: Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn were in both movies.

Hey, do you guys remember the 1980s movie The Running Man with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Dawson, and Jesse Ventura? I haven't seen it in ages but I remember it being pretty entertaining and bit campy. Well, I just walked over to the library at lunchtime and stumbled upon the audiobook. It may be common knowledge, but was quite surprised when I saw who wrote the book.

To mention Planet Of The Apes again, it was like learning that Rod Serling wrote the end of that screenplay - I thought OF COURSE! when I saw who wrote The Running Man.

Any guesses?

The answer is below.

https://i.postimg.cc/PfbHdcfT/FSGD3185.jpg

sandydandy
September 15th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Watched the 2017 remake of Flatliners. It was pure rubbish. Would've worked (slightly) better as a sequel considering Kiefer Sutherland was cast.

It was really bad.

JoeW
September 17th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Watching Unbelievable on Netflix...holy shit what a great mini series about a true story.

sandydandy
September 18th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Watched Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones. It was savage. The man hasn't lost his touch and is still in his prime.

It was very offensive, to be sure, but in a funny way. Critics hate it, but the audience loves it. Critics can eat a dick.

JoeW
September 18th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Totally agree.

You should watch Nate Bargatze on Netflix. Pretty damn funny.

sandydandy
September 18th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Drachen596
September 19th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Watched Far from Home, The dead dont die, and Anna recently.

Enjoyed all of them but Far from Home left me confused at the ending with EDITH. I'd detail it here but i don't think mobile will let me do the spoiler thing properly.

sandydandy
September 19th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Can't believe I didn't know about El Camino, the upcoming Breaking Bad movie. Just learned about it yesterday and saw the teaser with Skinny Pete getting interrogated.

October 11th. Seriously pumped for this!

Leon
September 19th, 2019, 12:36 PM
I've watched my way through Corner Gas (all the non-animated stuff). So goooooooood, thank you kind folk for the recommendation, it was absolutely spot on.

dodint
September 21st, 2019, 11:00 AM
Glad you liked it, Ash really enjoyed it too. I haven't watched the cartoon yet. `

sandydandy
September 22nd, 2019, 04:30 PM
Watched Time Trap. An absolute mind-fuck of a movie.

Also rewatching Better Call Saul for a third time. Wanted to watch season 3 but completely forgot the first two seasons, so I’m speeding through them.

Leon
September 22nd, 2019, 05:15 PM
On becoming a god in central Florida.

I'm a huge Dunst fan, and I'm enjoying the ruthless pisstake of the scAmway and other "this isn't a pyramid scheme" pyramid schemes.

Drachen596
September 22nd, 2019, 11:28 PM
Okay so the Spiderman Far From Home thing.

Parker transferred full control of EDITH to Beck. He didn't just add him to approved users, he game him full control.

With that being said how did Parker so easily regain control at the end without it having to be transfered back to him with the voice confirmation?

Tom Servo
September 23rd, 2019, 05:43 AM

I'm a huge Dunst fan, and I'm enjoying the ruthless pisstake of the scAmway and other "this isn't a pyramid scheme" pyramid schemes.

Same on both counts, good to hear that this is worth watching. The wife and I were talking about whether or not we should get Showtime to see it, sounds like we should.

Leon
September 23rd, 2019, 07:40 PM
it is a mix of funny, and incredibly sad.

Alan P
September 24th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Parker transferred full control of EDITH to Beck. He didn't just add him to approved users, he game him full control.

With that being said how did Parker so easily regain control at the end without it having to be transfered back to him with the voice confirmation?

I suspect he was programmed in as 'Admin' by Tony. Or something.

FaultyMario
September 24th, 2019, 11:46 AM

Didn't PP and Happy discuss the how in the plane?

speedpimp
September 25th, 2019, 03:57 PM

That show is fucking awesome.

MR2 Fan
September 26th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Apparently the movie "Clue" is being remade....I'm unsure about this. The original Clue movie was sort of a cult classic and Tim Curry is irreplaceable, I'm wondering how this one is going to be.

sandydandy
September 26th, 2019, 07:22 PM
Chuck from Better Call Saul actually played Mr. Green in Clue. I would’ve never guessed if I hadn’t looked him up on the cast list.

Leon
September 26th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Apparently the movie "Clue" is being remade....I'm unsure about this. The original Clue movie was sort of a cult classic and Tim Curry is irreplaceable, I'm wondering how this one is going to be.

That explains the Tim Curry Twitter comment about don't remake movies that don't need remaking until after I'm dead.

Dicknose
September 27th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Chuck from Better Call Saul actually played Mr. Green in Clue. I would’ve never guessed if I hadn’t looked him up on the cast list.

Havent seen Clue - but did he look like he did in Spinal Tap?

sandydandy
September 27th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Havent seen Clue - but did he look like he did in Spinal Tap? I would assume so if it's from the same time period. He was goofy and nerdy looking in Clue.

Dicknose
September 28th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Does that mean you havent seen Spinal Tap?? The greatest comedy ever!!!

mk
September 28th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

speedpimp
September 29th, 2019, 02:21 AM
Clue is on Prime if anyone is interested.

Leon
September 29th, 2019, 03:16 PM
New episode of Good Place is out.

The character "Janet" is sooooo good.

Phil_SS
October 7th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Started watching Hyperdrive and I am really enjoying it.

Though the one crazy obstacle mishap that they had was painfully obvious as an Engineer. I stated to my Daughter that the next person was going to be screwed due to the now changing conditions and that it could be potentially dangerous. Low and behold, pow! and then they removed the obstacle from the course.

Overall though it has been really fun to watch.

JoeW
October 7th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Yeah I saw that one coming a mile away. I stayed watching primarily for the Japanese driver who was the only one driving old school style.

A lot of it is pretty stupid but there are some bright moments as well.

sandydandy
October 8th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Saw Berlin Syndrome and Don’t Breathe recently. Both were pretty good, the latter especially.

Getting pumped up for El Camino this Friday. I’m envious of Americans who will get a chance to watch it in theaters. Sadly, it’ll be unavailable in that format here. I’m actually kind of mad about that.

Oh well, there’s still Netflix.

speedpimp
October 11th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound & Fury on Netflix. If you like either Simpson, anime or both you should enjoy this.

sandydandy
October 11th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Watched El Camino. It wasn’t really what I expected, but still pretty good. Will have to watch it again to fully appreciate it. Overall a nice closure to the main Breaking Bad saga.

In the meantime, Better Call Saul continues.

sandydandy
October 12th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Damn Robert Forster passed away just yesterday. He was in El Camino. It was weird watching him in it, and then literally 20 minutes later finding out that he died. Brain cancer.

JoshInKC
October 12th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Yeah, Forster was great - Not just in Jackie Brown and Breaking Bad, but also in the stone-cold classic Medium Cool.

and also the Black Hole

Cam
October 18th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Lori cancelled Netflix and Hulu last year, but we still have Amazon Prime. That said, we're chomping at the bit for the new season of Jack Ryan. That Krasinski is just so hunky.

FaultyMario
October 20th, 2019, 12:19 PM
The Joe Rogan podcast with the Navy commander who was involved in the Nimitz UAP. It's really funny, the former pilot is such a nerd (in a good way) and the conspiranoid salesman is such a dork (not in a good way), good entertainment. Highly recommend.

JSGeneral
October 21st, 2019, 04:24 AM
Just watched the Watchmen series premiere on HBO. Wow! :up:

Phil_SS
October 21st, 2019, 05:43 AM
Mindhunter: Netflix series about the origin of the FBI's Serial Crime Unit. It is really fricken good and most of it was shot here in Pittsburgh and Western PA. Multiple thumbs up.

I'm only up to S1 E7, so don't spoil it for me if you have seen beyond me.

Jason
October 21st, 2019, 06:38 AM
Mindhunter has been fantastic.

I’m finally hitting the final season of Star Trek Voyager... also going to re-watch the TNG movies before Picard launches this winter.

Also been re-watching all the MCU movies, one or two a week, on 4K HDR... some are better conversions than others. Avengers was a fantastic conversion. First Avenger doesn’t really benefit too much, though, due to the limited color range it’s intentionally shot/finished in.

JoeW
October 23rd, 2019, 03:09 AM
I also watched Watchmen. I am not a Watchmen purist...I didn’t read the comic and I barely remember any of the movie. I thought it was good but I’m hoping for more sci-fi to be introduced.

I hear most of the purists absolutely hated it though. Critics rotten tomatoes is like 98% whereas fan score is in the 50% range with all the hardcore fans being quite pissed off about the direction of the series in comparison to the original comic book intent....which I did not read.

sandydandy
October 25th, 2019, 05:24 AM
Watched Fractured with Sam Worthington. A very decent thriller. I don’t really understand the mediocre rating given to it by critics. Maybe because it’s similar to other films, but I thought it was brilliantly acted and the story well executed. Watch the trailer and decide for yourself if it’s too familiar. I enjoyed it.

JoeW
October 29th, 2019, 03:43 PM
So I think I just shit myself as I discovered a fantasy book series I read is already in production at Amazon as a series.

The Eye of the World Series by Robert Jordan was so fucking good....I’m giddy with excitement right now to be honest.

Cam
October 29th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Anyone see Jojo Rabbit?

Alan P
October 30th, 2019, 03:30 PM
I also watched Watchmen. I am not a Watchmen purist...I didn’t read the comic and I barely remember any of the movie. I thought it was good but I’m hoping for more sci-fi to be introduced.

I hear most of the purists absolutely hated it though. Critics rotten tomatoes is like 98% whereas fan score is in the 50% range with all the hardcore fans being quite pissed off about the direction of the series in comparison to the original comic book intent....which I did not read.
I found it rather slow. It's enjoyable, has the slightest connection to the Movie (although I've never read the GN) but it hasn't exactly grabbed me just now.

sandydandy
October 31st, 2019, 01:15 PM
Watched In The Tall Grass. It was alright. Didn’t love it though.

Also watched part of I Spit On Your Grave. Couldn’t get through it. It was quite fucked up. Makes you wonder about the mentality of the filmmakers and the audience...and also yourself. Like why the hell was I drawn to this rubbish?

Ended up reading the spoilers for this, and the sequels on Wikipedia.

Tom Servo
October 31st, 2019, 01:48 PM
Anyone see Jojo Rabbit?

I haven't, but really want to. I tend to really like Taika Waititi's stuff and a lot of people who's opinions I trust have raved about it.

Cam
October 31st, 2019, 03:33 PM
It is not in regular theatres here. It looks like it will be at our local art house theatre Nov. 9.

Tom Servo
October 31st, 2019, 04:07 PM
Same, though we've got a ton of the artsy theaters around here. I also never go out to movies anymore (too expensive, can't pause, yadda yadda), so I'm probably just wait until it comes out streaming somewhere.

Kchrpm
November 2nd, 2019, 11:32 AM
Anyone see Jojo Rabbit?

Going tomorrow, have heard great things.

JoeW
November 4th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Still watching Watchmen. Getting better. I like the mystery to it. They revealed a FBI lady who is a great character. Starting to enjoy it more and more.

JoeW
November 5th, 2019, 01:59 PM
His Dark Materials is great. Looking forward to more.

speedpimp
November 6th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Really loved Righteous Gemstones. I watched one episode of Succession, it's glacial pace turned me off.

There is a show on Netflix called Losers. It is a series of half hour documentaries that focuses on a sports figure that isn't at the top of their game.

His Dark Materials has a lot of promise.

I've watched one episode of Watchmen and I need to watch a few more episodes to get a feel for it.

dodint
November 6th, 2019, 06:08 AM
Really enjoying your vacation, eh?

Losers was good; but like any anthology certain episodes outshined the pack.
I will pivot to Righteous Gemstones when I knock down some of the stuff I have on my list. Probably by next summer.

sandydandy
November 6th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Triyng to catch up on Better Call Saul season 4. It's not on Netflix yet so I've been looking to other sources. The Spanish dialogue is frustrating to follow without subtitles, but I think I'm getting the gist of it. Halfway through the season and it's stellar so far.

speedpimp
November 6th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Really enjoying your vacation, eh?

Losers was good; but like any anthology certain episodes outshined the pack.

The boxer episode and the Torquay United episodes were the best.

Yes, I am enjoying it in spades.

JoeW
November 8th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Watched the very last episode of The Badlands...I will miss my crazy martial arts fix show.

speedpimp
November 11th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Just watched the Watchmen series premiere on HBO. Wow! :up:

Four episodes in and this is amazing.

JoshInKC
November 11th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Just finished catching up with the second season of Lodge 49.
Such a good show, but one of those that I totally understand was made for the creator, me, and about 200 other people worldwide. Shame that it got cancelled, but it was clearly not long for this world.

Tom Servo
November 13th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Rewatching Orphan Black. Might be even better the second time around.

Leon
November 13th, 2019, 11:16 PM
first episode of The Mandalorian.

Yehaa :)

JoeW
November 14th, 2019, 02:37 AM
Mandalorian was just OK for me. I think I was expecting more due to the build up. And then he didn’t turn out to be as much of a badass as they portray him in the beginning.

Good to see some familiar actors faces. Carl Weathers and the speeder driver guy come to mind.

FaultyMario
November 14th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Rewatching Orphan Black. Might be even better the second time around.

I've been avoiding a second run. First season was the tits, do not want to ruin the memories.

Leon
November 14th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Mandalorian was just OK for me. I think I was expecting more due to the build up. And then he didn’t turn out to be as much of a badass as they portray him in the beginning.

Good to see some familiar actors faces. Carl Weathers and the speeder driver guy come to mind.

I'm hoping for a nice slow burn series, and the gradual episode 1 pacing makes me pleased, because of this hope.

tigeraid
November 14th, 2019, 10:08 AM
The Devil Next Door on Netflix, about Ivan the Terrible. Ain't that some shit.

FaultyMario
November 14th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Tomorrow, tomorrow
I love ya tomorrow
You're always
A day
Away

The Man in the High Castle (2015– )
Episode #4.1 TV-MA | 1h | Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller | Episode airs 15 November 2019

Freude am Fahren
November 14th, 2019, 12:24 PM
I hope they do one of those 5-10 minute full on recaps. I'm a bit forgetful with all the other shows I've watched since.

Freude am Fahren
November 14th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Finally got some Hulu access and have been highly enjoying Letterkenny.

SportWagon
November 14th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Jeopardy!
Well they arranged the rematch they wanted between Jeopardy! James Holzhauer and Emma Boettcher.

You might think they deliberately skewed the selection of the third finalist too, by their choice of Final Jeopardy! answer--obscure Physics history, when a Physics teacher was among the contestants.

JoeW
November 14th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Man in the High Castle will be sadly missed when it ends. I love that show.

Letterkenny is definitely amazing.

Phil_SS
November 15th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Jack Ryan Season 2: It was ok, the premise and situation were cool but

Like What The WTF! Jack Ryan is now a fuckin Jason Bourne badass. WHAT!? Makes no sense. He can carry a hand gun, that's it, but he shouldn't be rockin an M4 and tactically taking guys out. He shouldn't be doing covert OPS missions. Extremely disappointed in the direction they took with him this season.

If you want to go in that direction then make Rainbow Six

And I agree, Letterkenny is great.

JoeW
November 15th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Allegedly...

speedpimp
November 17th, 2019, 03:27 PM

I'm glad he's not some invincible bad ass, at least he made it through two episodes without dying, which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for Boba Fett's weak ass.

The speeder driver is Brian Posehn.

Tom Servo
November 17th, 2019, 03:50 PM
The speeder driver is Brian Posehn.

First thing that's made me think about watching it.

JoeW
November 17th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Yeah I like that guy in everything he's in ;)

Tom Servo
November 17th, 2019, 04:31 PM
I saw him walking down the street over by Riot Games a few months back - thought about yelling "SLAYYYEEERRR" out the window at him, but decided against it. I regret that decision.

JoeW
November 19th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Sooo...two things...

Really loving Watchmen...especially Mirror Guy and FBI lady. Just great characters.

And Man in the High Castle...finished it...did not really enjoy the final season as much as I had hoped. Kind of feel disappointed and a little ripped off.

tigeraid
November 19th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Watched the first episode of Mandalorian as well, also loved it. Feels like old Star Wars but with a twist in the score, as well as some nice visuals. Almost a Western feel. Interested to see where it goes.

FaultyMario
November 19th, 2019, 12:08 PM
High Castle did not disappoint. First TV show I've watched in a long time where they wrapped everything with what was available from episode 1. Good work.

speedpimp
November 19th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Sooo...two things...

Really loving Watchmen...especially Mirror Guy and FBI lady.

aka Buster Scruggs and a Designing Women Woman.

Last episode was great.

Finally getting into watching the latest season of American Horror Story. Leaps and bounds ahead of the last two seasons.

neanderthal
November 19th, 2019, 03:48 PM
The Godfather of Harlem, on Epix.
Only one season available, but compelling a watch.

sandydandy
November 23rd, 2019, 09:46 AM
Gearing up for the 8th and final season of Homeland (coming out in February) by rewatching the entire series. Halfway through season 7. It’s such a good show with a quick and exciting pace.

tigeraid
November 24th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was fucking phenomenal.

And I was reminded again that Tara hates Quentin Tarantino when she quit about 25 minutes in. :rolleyes:

Fiat500
November 24th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Tara quitting Quentin Tarantino.

Say that five times fast!

tigeraid
November 25th, 2019, 09:46 AM
:thppt:

FaultyMario
November 28th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Haven't the 7 free hours that it takes to watch The Irishman but soon will.

:assclown:

sandydandy
December 2nd, 2019, 12:23 PM
Been watching a lot of videos on the YouTube channel "Strange But True Stories". So much good quality stuff on there which sends chills up your spine. One video in particular recounted a story about the "Elevator Game". I don't scare easily, but I swear this story scared the shit out of me for a second. Not entirely sure if this Elevator Game is real or a hoax, the internet is full of contradictory opinions. One thing I'm certain of is I'm NOT about to try it out for myself.

Yeah, I'll pass on that shit. :eek:

tigeraid
December 3rd, 2019, 12:00 PM
The Expanse, S4, starting soon.
The Witcher, starting soon.

Not sure which I'm more excited for.

Yobbo NZ
December 3rd, 2019, 10:29 PM
Finished watch season 1 of Cobra Kai last night.
Very good series if you loved the movies.
Also shines a light on Johnny that shows he wasn't so bad after all.

Cam
December 4th, 2019, 05:40 AM
Bohemian Rhapsody. I enjoyed it.

Tom Servo
December 4th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Saw The Art of Racing in the Rain. That was one of my wife's favorite books, and I know I took all the wrong things from the movie because so many of the car things bugged me.

Cam
December 4th, 2019, 09:10 AM
I cringed at the trailer for that. I knew I did not want to watch it. :lol:

JoeW
December 4th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Finished "See" on Apple TV+. Fantastic.

Tom Servo
December 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM
I cringed at the trailer for that. I knew I did not want to watch it. :lol:

Seriously. Guy's racing Daytona Prototypes, then one day a guy from Ferrari shows up and lets him drive a road-going 488 and he's like "This is the greatest car I've ever driven". *stabstabstab*

sandydandy
December 5th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Watched The Purge and The Purge Anarchy. Both were pretty good, but the second was much better. They took Election Year off Netflix so I gotta find it somewhere else.

Also watched a few episodes of The Toys That Made Us. Transformers, Wrestling and TMNT. Good stuff. Nice trip down memory lane.

FaultyMario
December 6th, 2019, 11:31 AM
The fucking Irishman is a goddamn masterpiece, I'm telling youse.

JoeW
December 13th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Three episodes into season 4 of The Expanse...amazing as always.

Leon
December 13th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Just starting the first Episode of Season 4. Excite.

Freude am Fahren
December 14th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Just finished season 2 of Jack Ryan. I like it, but I also kinda hate that I like it. This recent season was good if your suspension of disbelief is strong. Noomi Rapace is always so good.

Apparently though, season 2 was originally planned to be a reboot/revisit of sorts to The Hunt for Red October. I'm glad they didn't do that because no one should ever touch such a masterpiece. However, plot-wise it would have been better than this Venezuela stuff.

JoeW
December 14th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Finished Expanse...wow! More please.

Amos has the best lines of the show. Followed by Bobby.

JoshInKC
December 14th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Just finished season 2 of Jack Ryan. I like it, but I also kinda hate that I like it. This recent season was good if your suspension of disbelief is strong. Noomi Rapace is always so good.

Apparently though, season 2 was originally planned to be a reboot/revisit of sorts to The Hunt for Red October. I'm glad they didn't do that because no one should ever touch such a masterpiece. However, plot-wise it would have been better than this Venezuela stuff.

Man, that show... I was willing to go with the first season to a point, probably in part because I've become inured to a certain amount of islamophobia, and in part because they did a little work on developing the villain and giving him a motivation.
The second season, otoh - Holy shit is it american imperialism propaganda. "It's cool that we're literally invading a sovereign foreign nation because this dude has a hunch. Oh, and btw, its during this nation's election - Yeah, we're absolutely killing a whole bunch of dudes, including a few completely unarmed civilians who we don't give even a second of screen time to, why do you ask?"
"Oh yeah - and we're definitely landing a helicopter on the roof and invading the presidential palace during a banquet on election day. Uh-huh, killing ALL the guards."
It is a pretty competently made series, but the politics are an absolute nightmare.
Almost forgot - They did a really good job of portraying the US's history of getting all up in the business of latin america especially when
the CIA hires a bunch of international mercenaries off the books to perform guerrilla war operations against the local military. Unfortunately, they manage to be entirely unreflective about all this. In the end, I'm pretty sure that Jack Ryan goes home and sleeps soundly because he didn't kill any real people.

Freude am Fahren
December 14th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts too.

They should have at least made all the baddies in the palace in suits, rather than uniforms, so you could think of them as mercs working for a dictator, not actual Venezuelan soldiers, which is ridiculous. Also, it was way to easy to invade that palace in a freaking helicopter.

And I know there are a lot of interpretations of Jack Ryan, but I kinda prefer the less hardcore spec ops commando ones.

tigeraid
December 16th, 2019, 07:35 AM
Oh Expanse, how I've missed you.

George
December 16th, 2019, 02:45 PM
1. I'm about halfway through The Irishman on Netflix but stopped because I think my wife would love it. Hope to find the time to watch it with her.

In addition to the obvious movies that it reminds me of, in a few places it has made me think of...

...Forrest Gump, as we see the years go by.

2. Saw Jumanji - The Next Level yesterday with my daughter. We enjoyed the first one (well, the first NEW one) together and we liked the second one as well. I can't remember the last time I saw either Devito or Glover in a movie theatre - it might have been in the 1980s (Twins and Lethal Weapon come to mind).

As a parent, I cringed at all the unnecessary cursing. I keep forgetting PG-13 means frequent profanity, and I don't understand why. Take out all the "bad words", change nothing else, and it would have been just as good. Better, even. Still, it is a fun movie. I don't think I've seen the original with Robin Williams since the 1990s but would like to sometime.

We are hoping for another sequel. Jumanji - Level III, maybe.

3. I finally finished The Hateful Eight on Netflix, which I started a while back and have watched in five or six installments.

While I'm glad I've seen it, I didn't like that one as much as some other Tarantino films. It seemed unnecessarily gory, even by Tarantino standards. I don't know what draws me to his movies...maybe it's the hope that the good in them will overcome the uncomfortable parts.

Whenever the actor who played Oswaldo (the British chap) spoke, I imagined that Tarantino had tried to get Christoph Waltz for that role and couldn't, so he instructed the guy playing Oswaldo to speak just like Waltz would. The two actors even look somewhat similar. Anyone else notice that?

I also thought some of the dialogue was too modern for the time in which this movie was set, but maybe that's a Tarantino thing. Or maybe my imagination again...

Had a funny thought while enjoying Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson acting together: both are known for playing characters with eyepatches in more than one movie. You can't say that about too many other actors that I can think of. Did John Wayne or Jeff Bridges wear them more than once? Anyone else?

EDITED TO ADD, after something slowly crept into my memory after posting: John Wayne appeared as Rooster Cogburn in two movies, so he's tied with Russell, until someone who knows more than I sets the record straight.

Still looking forward to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, however. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

speedpimp
December 16th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Oswaldo is Tim Roth. He's been in a few QT movies. He has a series called Tin Star on Prime that is excellent but gets a bit dark.

Saw Jumanji Next Level yesterday and really liked it. Pretty sure the only swearing was Jack Black dropping a couple "God damns".

Pit a snake vs a rooster and who would win?

You bringing up True Grit made me think of Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart, which has Robert Duvall in a few scenes and that makes me want to imagine that as being the same character he played in Tender Mercies.

The Irishman is amazing.

The one movie I am really anticipating is Uncut Gems, which is Adam Sandler as a jeweler with a serious gambling problem. If it sucks I guess you could call it Unhappy Gilmore.

Freude am Fahren
December 16th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Had to pause Irashman halfway through as well. Not because it was bad. I just needed to go to the bathroom, shave, experience my 30's, etc.

:lol: that movie is long as fuck.

speedpimp
December 17th, 2019, 03:07 AM
But it doesn't seem that long, that is how well it is paced. It took me two sittings to finish it as well. I've seen movies half as long as that and they seem twice as long. Nothing is worse than a short movie that drags on forever.

JSGeneral
December 17th, 2019, 04:06 AM
Had a funny thought while enjoying Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson acting together: both are known for playing characters with eyepatches in more than one movie. You can't say that about too many other actors that I can think of. Did John Wayne or Jeff Bridges wear them more than once? Anyone else?

Robert Wagner.

Oh, and I finished Watchmen series on HBO. Truly, a great show. So good I don't think I want another season.

George
December 17th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Saw Jumanji Next Level yesterday and really liked it. Pretty sure the only swearing was Jack Black dropping a couple "God damns".

By way of explanation and not argument:

First, I'm neither a prude nor particularly religious, but I try to set a good example for my children when they're around. I don't always succeed, but I try.

Second, it wasn't a couple nor a few but several times, and spoken by...

...one of the "good guys" in the movie - a college freshmen (Fridge - through his avatar at the time) in the presence of a friend's grandfather and the grandfather's friend, and at least one girl/woman his own age. Others may have said it and other things also - I didn't keep a scorecard.

To me, that word is one of the most offensive curses. It not only declares the speaker's indifference (at best) to the god of his own society, but also to the listeners' deities, assuming they have any.

I understand cursing with "the guys" - at work, playing sports, at the bar, whatever... I've said it, and I'm sure I'll let it slip out again when I'm truly pissed off. Profanity has it's place, for sure. Samuel L. Jackson is one of my favorite actors, and he's practically made a career out of creative and passionate profanity - I'm reminded of the 2019 Shaft movie I watched on a plane recently. Every other word in that movie sounded like sailors on shore leave. :lol:.

But, I say it has no place in a scripted family movie. I say this as a father trying to have a nice afternoon outing with his daughter. Hearing that word thrown around frequently normalizes a strong curse word and tells kids it's okay to use that kind of language in front of women and one's elders. I think it's yet another symptom of our crumbling society.

I'm not on a crusade about this. If I weren't a parent, I probably wouldn't even have noticed. But I am.

George
December 17th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Robert Wagner.

Ah, I didn't know that. Wikipedia says he played that character three times. If he wore the patch in all three, I guess that puts him in second place behind Nick Fury.

Edited to add - I thought it was Sergeant Fury, but Wikipedia says he's a Colonel now. And that reminds me I need to catch up on the MCU movies.

sandydandy
December 17th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Watched Never Saw It Coming, a Canadian thriller. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Unbelievably stupid plot that is horribly acted, for the most part. The only name that caught my attention was Eric Roberts, who I admire a great deal. But he was barely in it. 83 minutes I will never get back.

sandydandy
December 18th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Weird Science was on last night, I caught the last half-hour. Brought back memories of my childhood. I have this movie on VHS but no VCR to play it on.

Looking at the cast list, Robert Downey Jr. is the only relevant actor left out of the bunch. Of course we know Bill Paxton died a couple of years ago. :(

JoeW
December 20th, 2019, 06:15 AM
Witcher...fucking awesome.